Do you have a passion for public service and enjoy making a difference? Don’t miss out on this opportunity. The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) is hiring! Apply now if you’re looking for a rewarding career in public service. We regulate the insurance industry, administer the Texas workers’ compensation system, and educate and protect consumers.
You’ll love the benefits of working at TDI:
- Flexible work schedules.
- Hybrid telecommuting.
- Work-life balance.
- 96 hours of accrued vacation a year.
- 96 hours of accrued sick leave a year.
- 20+ holidays every year.
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Free downtown Austin parking.
- Free comprehensive medical insurance for full-time employees, and the state pays 50% of the premium costs for dependents.
Workplace Safety Inspector
This position, with the Safety Training and Inspections Program, oversees and conducts inspections of the accident prevention services provided by insurance companies that write workers’ compensation insurance in Texas. Accident Prevention Services safety inspectors enjoy a rewarding career by helping to ensure that Texas employers receive safety and health services from their workers’ compensation insurance companies as required by law and administrative regulations, identify, and provide recommendations to correct occupational safety and health hazards, and assist in reducing work-related injuries and illnesses. Accident Prevention Services safety inspectors receive ongoing professional development and training, work regular hours with flexible schedules, and hone their occupational safety and health skills by working with insurance companies and employers in a variety of industries each day.
- Safety Inspector V performs complex (senior level) training work.
- Oversees and conducts inspections of insurance company compliance with the Accident Prevention Services program laws (Texas Labor Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter E) and Division rules (28 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 166);
- Work involves planning, organizing, scheduling, conducting, and evaluating insurance company accident prevention services.
- Conducts in and out briefings to insurance companies on preliminary findings of inspections; evaluates information reported by insurance companies to the division for adequacy;
- Conducts onsite and telephonic visits with policyholders to evaluate insurance company compliance with laws and rules, and to perform worksite program review and hazard assessments;
- Provides guidance and makes recommendations regarding safe work practices and hazard abatement to employers during and after onsite visits; prepares related documentation, forms, reports, and correspondence; assists with special projects; and
- Observes all applicable agency policies and procedures, including adhering to established leave and attendance policies, safety rules and regulations, and use of state property.
- Works under limited supervision with moderate latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
- One-year full-time experience in occupational health and safety or insurance industry loss control work.
- Must have English language skills (oral and written).
- Education and experience relevant to position requirements may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
Additional job details:
- This position may be eligible for hybrid telecommuting. Employees must have a secure, dedicated workspace with Internet service, ability to maintain a reliable consistent work schedule, and be available for weekly meetings and group collaboration via Microsoft Teams and other video platform applications during regular business hours.
- The interview will include a reading and writing test.
Preferences for this position include:
- Five -years of full-time experience in performing occupational safety and health work.
- Bachelor’s degree in health and safety field.
- Occupational safety designations, such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Occupational Health & Safety Technician (OHST), or Certified Safety and Health Official (CSHO).
This position requires demonstrated knowledge of:
- Texas and federal occupational safety and health laws, codes, and standards relating to employers and workers’ compensation insurance carriers
- Principles and methods of field safety inspection
- Components of an effective occupational safety and health program
- Basic rules of occupational safety and health evidence
- Loss control business practices in the workers’ compensation insurance industry
This position requires demonstrated skill in:
- Conducting inspections of both physical worksites and records
- Documenting inspection findings and evaluating inspection findings
- Determining proper courses of action
- Effective written and verbal communication with internal and external customers
- Using instruments or tools necessary to perform inspections
- Using common PC applications in a Windows environment, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, internet, and database applications
This position requires the demonstrated ability to:
- Analyze data, read, comprehend, interpret, and apply technical laws and regulations
- Evaluate employer and insurance company safety and health programs for compliance and effectiveness and to make appropriate recommendations
- Use common video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, WebEx, Teams, and Skype
- Work professionally and cooperatively in a team environment with employees at all levels within the organization
- Work independently with limited supervision and travel to and from insurance company facilities and employer worksites throughout the State of Texas
- Plan, decision-making and problem-solving
- Prepare concise reports
Redact personal or sensitive information from all attachments. To receive a veteran’s preference, you must submit the following documents, as applicable, with your application.
- Copy of the DD-214; member #4.
- Statement of compensation from the Veteran’s Administration or
- Copy of the DD1300.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $4,200.00 per month
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- No nights
- No weekends
- EHS: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: On the road