TITLE: ACCOUNTING CLERK
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under direction, perform accurate and efficient accounting functions to generate and update records relating to subsidiary ledgers and the general ledger. Manage Utility Billing; assist with posting journal entries to the General Ledger, review and reconcile all Township bank accounts, generate client prepared schedules for annual audit and file various reports with the State and other agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Generate quarterly trash billing, post trash receipts against the receivable using utility billing software.
2. Calculate and prepare invoices.
3. Prepare journal entries for General Ledger, e.g., bank fees, interest earnings, etc.
4. Prepare spreadsheet and post biweekly payroll to the General Ledger.
5. Prepare reports on various fund accounts from document management system or the financial management system.
6. Create adjusting entries for all accounts
7. Conduct on-line banking transactions including bank drafts, fund transfers and ACH transactions and posting to the GL.
8. Reconcile Township bank accounts on a monthly basis.
9. Review Credit Card payments made to Township and serve as liaison to provider; post receipts, complete bank reconciliation.
10. Aid in researching account activity / analysis as requested by other Township departments.
11. Coordinate the processing of the Township Purchasing Credit Card accounts to ensure purchases are legitimate and posted to the GL correctly.
12. Assist with providing supporting schedules and answering questions during the annual financial audit review.
13. Provide assistance to other administrative support staff as needed to ensure office coverage throughout the day.
Education/Employment: A minimum of an Associates’ degree in accounting is required, a Bachelors’ degree is preferred. Prior employment as accountant is a plus. Knowledge listed below is required.
- Thorough knowledge of accrual accounting procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of payroll practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of automated accounting systems specifically “fund” accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of Township trash bill collection procedures*
- Thorough knowledge of Township policy and procedure*
*Indicates developed after employment
- Computer operation including the full range of office applications, emphasis on Excel and Word.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong internal and external customer service orientation.
- Ability to demonstrate effective listening, inquiry and feedback skills.
- Ability to respond tactfully to complaints, concerns and questions, and appropriately direct response or take appropriate action to resolve situation or inquiry.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team in an office environment.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, staff and the public.
- Ability to resolve problems with tact and courtesy.
- Ability to proofread documents, identify errors and make corrections.
- Ability to post information accurately to written record.
- Ability to organize work and successfully manage multiple priorities and tasks and meet several deadlines.
- Ability to be flexible and manage change.
- Ability to sort items in alphabetical, numerical or subject order.
- Ability to sit and operate a keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Ability to frequently lift light objects (0-14 lbs).
Work is generally performed alone in a normal office environment but may involve frequent interruptions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required to perform the job.
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
DATE: January 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $24.00 – $26.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Please describe your accounting experience and the number of years you worked in the role(s).
- * How familiar are you with Fund Accounting, either by experience or education?
- Associate (Required)
Work Location: One location