Position Title: Adult Education Coordinator/Instructor
Location: Green Spring Gardens; 4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria, Virginia 22312
Schedule: Must have scheduling flexibility to allow for weekday and weekend times as well as occasional evenings. Average 25 hours weekly.
Salary: $16.00 per hour.
Overview: Green Spring Gardens seeks a charismatic team member for immediate hire to teach and schedule horticulture and cultural history programs for adults. This position oversees scheduling, staffing, or finding staff for public and private programs. Applicants should have strong oral communication skills with the ability to present and teach to groups of varying, age, number, and cultural background. This team member will be responsible for planning programs, contracting outside presenters, developing and leading education programs, scheduling volunteers and assisting with events. Additional duties include administrative, volunteer management and customer service.
Required Qualifications: Interest and knowledge base in horticulture, gardening, history, and/or educational programming with excellent oral and written communications skills. Enthusiasm for working with people and developing program content. Ability to present and interpret programs to diverse groups. Some experience in customer service and administrative support. Successful candidate must be able to acquire a thorough knowledge of Recreation Dynamics point of sale system, familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, audio visual and standard office equipment.
- Experience in horticulture, gardening, history, and/or education or a related field.
- Experience with volunteer management.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field.
- Multi-lingual is a plus.
Note: *This position is scheduled to work a minimum 1,040 hours and no more than a maximum of 1,560 hours in a calendar year. This position is eligible to receive limited benefits, including Medical/Vision/Dental Insurance Coverage, Flexible Spending Program, and Deferred Compensation.
Position will remain open until filled.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
Fairfax County Park Authority prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $16.00 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location