Are you an outdoor enthusiast with a passion for sharing a love of the outdoors with preschool children? This is the job for you! In search of an assistant Forest Preschool Guides to help lead a home-based Forest School for ages 2-5 in Columbia, MD.
Schedule: 7:30am – 1:00pm
Reports to the Lead Forest Guide
– Activities to include naptime supervision, free play with access to a fenced children’s garden and chickens (classroom available for inclement weather). Educational and craft-based activities as designed or assigned by the Lead Forest Director, depending on experience. Light gardening and watering of plants.
· Working in collaboration with the Lead Forest Guide to lead outdoor expeditions on the two-acre property, which includes access to marshland, a creek, and forest. Expeditions may include visiting a public park walking distance from the Forest School or through the Columbia public trails. May include educational activities.
· A belief in the inherent necessity of child’s play.
· Ability to observe children’s play with interest, assessing when your involvement would be detrimental to their development and when it is necessary for educational or safety reasons.
· An interest and willingness to learn about nature-oriented preschool education and how it fits into different educational models.
· Able to lift 50 pounds and engage in rigorous physical activity, including long hikes, bending, and lifting.
· Comfortable touching bugs, other critters, and chickens in an educational environment.
· Comfortable working outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
· Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some college in an early education or environmental field preferred.
– Must be COVID vaccinated.
Little Bird Forest School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $16.00 – $18.00 per hour
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Childcare: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location