Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Job Profile Summary:
The Associate Business Analyst is a subject-matter and/or industry-leading expert and professional individual contributor, requiring senior-level knowledge within their functional area along with appropriate education, experience, and skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- The Associate Business Analyst demonstrates competencies to achieve specific individual and functional objectives that require application of subject matter knowledge.
- The Associate Business Analyst plans and schedule are broadly pre-defined and require development of specific work plans and schedules to achieve objectives.
- The Associate Business Analyst will be required to contribute to the development of functional and organizational content, practices, and objectives to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- The Associate Business Analyst’s scope of work typically requires cross-functional coordination and/or collaboration within and outside the organizational function.
- The Associate Business Analyst may be asked to act as a coach/mentor within their team and/or functional area and should be widely recognized as a go-to person.
- The Associate Business Analyst may hold a particular expertise within the university function and directly influence decisions based on that expertise.
- The Associate Business Analyst is innovative and is always looking to new technologies to meet the needs of today.
- The Associate Business Analyst may format and deliver accurate data, using prescribed programs/reports or programs/reports they develop, which will enable leadership to make excellent business decisions, as well as enable employees to better serve student needs and ensure student success. The Associate Business Analyst will also be constantly re-evaluating the needs of the department to ensure that the reporting tools available meet the needs.
- The Associate Business Analyst utilizes strong analytical and product management skills to gain a thorough understanding of department technology needs and translate these into specific initiatives and short- and long-range plans. The Associate Business Analyst may also be asked to develop and document organizational content, practices, and objectives, including for relatively undefined new reporting initiatives.
- The Associate Business Analyst creates and distributes reports that inform and educate Evaluation Leadership to support objectives. They triage incoming comments, concerns, and questions and then suggest timely, robust, and diplomatic feedback to Evaluation employees who engage in initiatives, participate in events, receive data, or who have general inquiries regarding any initiatives sponsored by
the Evaluation Department. As appropriate, they initiate new reports and projects that logically result in department feedback and/or needs.
- The Associate Business Analyst works on mostly situationally and highly complex and require analysis of data and evaluation of a variety of factors.
- The Associate Business Analyst must demonstrate excellent attention to detail, data cleansing, and data accuracy and may support others on the team as a quality check to ensure all data is accurate.
- The Associate Business Analyst must demonstrate superior accuracy in reporting, planning, and communication; adaptability and flexibility as situations change frequently; and reliability in accomplishing tasks on time.
- The Associate Business Analyst must plan, organize, monitor, and manage business intelligence projects through completion and fluidly manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in a high-pressure environment and guide others on the team in collaborative efforts.
- The Associate Business Analyst collaborates primarily within the department and become a subject-matter-expert in the different functional areas within Evaluation, as well as the supporting data systems. Occasionally, the Associate Business Analyst will collaborate with teams outside of the department to ensure the various needs are met.
- The Associate Business Analyst elicits requirements and specifications through use of interviews, document analysis, workshops, surveys, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, and task and workflow analysis.
- The Associate Business Analyst leverages collaborative skills with internal customers and subject-matter-experts to establish the technical vision and analyze trade-offs between usability and performance needs.
- The Associate Business Analyst communicates and collaborates with internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the appropriate artifacts as needed.
- The Associate Business Analyst may also work to develop creative solutions to solve issues or drive continuous improvement.
- As a key member of Evaluation Department reporting teams, the Associate Business Analyst conducts work that is important to the Student experience and Student success through the provision of reports that highlight department performance. The Associate Business Analyst may also make decisions that measurably impact department objectives and budgets.
- The Associate Business Analyst contributes directly toward achieving department and team objectives to be accurate, fair, helpful, and quick, while contributing to an environment that is a great place to work.
- Tasks will most likely relate to reports to support the Evaluation Department operations.
- The Associate Business Analyst is self-managed within the context of assigned reports and will often guide other analysts as needed.
- The Associate Business Analyst exercises independent judgment on assigned reports and often works to understand matters outside of established work plans and/or schedule.
- The Associate Business Analyst drives quality through design, development, testing, and ongoing performance monitoring. Quality checks are natural part of day-to-day occurrences. The Associate Business Analyst will often check the validity of other reports created by team members to ensure reliability and error-free products.
- The Associate Business Analyst may collaborate with their supervisor/manager to determine appropriate actions for atypical situations or development beyond the original scope of their responsibilities, but often takes initiative and logically works through these situations independently.
- The Associate Business Analyst ensures projects meet or exceed technical specifications and customer requirements.
- The Associate Business Analyst performs quality assurance on data warehouse objects and the creation of user-facing reports and dashboards and works to debug and resolve problems in reporting data.
- The Associate Business Analyst evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts, decomposes high-level information into details, abstracts up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Understanding and appreciation of WGU’s competency-based education model.
- Strong desire to delight end user.
- Personal drive to continually increase the standard of work.
- Strong organization skills with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to build consensus and motivate others.
- Ability to manage and report data on several projects/initiatives at once.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to drive communication between team members and project stakeholders through mainly electronic platforms.
- Tactfulness and discretion are required in communications as the subject matter may involve sensitive material.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside the department, in order to gather information.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability and temperament to proactively consider the needs of others.
- Solid technical and problem-solving skills.
- Understands projects and initiatives within Evaluation.
- Creative mindset for recommending new initiatives.
- Ability to create and track data related to project impact.
- Ability to plan and meet schedules.
- Work equally well in self-managed and team-based projects.
- Creative, good-natured, and passionate about data and its support/guidance for the WGU mission.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2016 or Office 365.
- Proficient specifically in Microsoft Excel or PowerBi.
- Ability to learn new applications and/or platforms as needed.
- Works to achieve operational targets within job areas that impact on the overall achievement of results for the job area.
- Work is limited in scope and typically task-related or less complex. Work is closely supervised.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for employing minor changes in systems and processes to solve problems.
- Identifies, defines, and addresses problems that are not immediately evident but typically not complex. Issues generally are within the immediate job area and solved through prior experiences or standard procedures.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates with contacts typically within the job area to obtain information or provide explanations and interpretation.
- Requires broad theoretical job knowledge through advanced education.
- Six Sigma Greenbelt experience and knowledge or certification
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred, and appropriate experience.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.