Temporary (up to 8 hours per week)
The job of AVID Tutor is done for the purpose/s of guiding students toward academic and personal excellence that will reach beyond their secondary school years. They are active participants in the learning, growth and personal development of students to prepare them to successfully attend college. AVID tutors support high school students enrolled in the AVID course by providing direct instructional support to students with the assistance of an AVID course teacher. In addition, they serve as role models to students.
AVID is an educational program for high school students that supports student preparation for college through an academic course that teaches necessary learning skills, reinforces the academic core, and encourages rigorous student course taking.
This job reports to the Principal – High School.
- Assists in teaching study skills and other skills necessary for college preparation for the purpose of helping students improve and achieve academic success.
- Assists students in any subject area by being familiar with students’ textbooks, materials and AVID classroom resources for the purpose of ensuring a student’s knowledge and understanding of specific subject matter.
- Assures that students complete work in a timely manner for the purpose of helping students improve study methods and meet objectives.
- Communicates regularly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern and confer with the teacher about future tutorial plans for the purpose of fostering a positive and inclusive learning environment.
- Develops writing assignments for the purpose of encouraging critical thinking and promoting progressive learning.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with students for the purpose of serving as a role model to students.
- Facilitates student learning in a challenging, yet supportive, tutoring environment for the purpose of improving student academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Leads peer critique groups that underscore the principle of collaborative learning for the purpose of assisting the group to set a plan and early goals, which can be modified.
- Participates in all required trainings, professional development sessions and meetings for the purpose of collaborating with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation and revision of the program.
- Responds to student writing with helpful verbal and written comments for the purpose of motivating students achievement and success.
- Sets an example of personal excellence and high expectations for all AVID students for the purpose of serving as a role model.
- Teaches mini-lessons for the purpose of encouraging critical thinking and ensuring that the students’ knowledge is challenged and probed.
- Works with students at all phases of the writing process (e.g. brainstorming, clustering, read arounds, revision and editing, etc.) for the purpose of helping students achieve a better understanding of specific subject area.
- Works individually with students on writing assignments, as well as support student mastery of various content subject areas for the purpose of improving students study methods, including the selection of appropriate learning resources.
Performs other duties as assigned for the purpose of meeting student’s educational goals.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: using curriculum and instructional techniques.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: concepts of grammar, spelling and punctuation; methods of instruction and training; mathematics and science knowledge; strong analytical and problem solving skills.
ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with persons of diverse backgrounds.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; providing information and/or advising others; utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some climbing and balancing, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and some fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 10% walking, and 40% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Experience: Job related experience is desired.
Education: High school diploma
Equivalency: Evidence of earned college credit in the field of English, mathematics and science.
Certtificates and Licences: High School Diploma
Earned college credit in the field of English, mathematics or science; or currently enrolled in
English, mathematcis or science college level classes
Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Liberty Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and promotes a drug free workplace. We have multiple opportunities and welcome you to apply for any position you feel you are qualified to perform.
Applicants for Liberty Public Schools must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Salary schedules are published on our website: Liberty Public Schools