College / VP Area: College of Engineering
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under the direction of the Chairperson and in coordination with the College of Engineering Sr. Business Officer, the Business Administrator manages the day-to-day operations of the Department. The Business Administrator interacts with faculty, students, College and University administrators, vendors, other educational institutions, alumni and government agencies as necessary to exchange information and/or solve problems and other issues.
- Manages the resources and daily operations of Electrical & Computer Engineering, a department in the College of Engineering, including Centers, ensuring compliance with College and University policies and procedures.
- Interprets for the Chair, University policy and procedures.
- Provides guidance and interpretation to Departmental staff, including staff assigned to Centers, with regards to University, College and Departmental policies and procedures
- In coordination with the College of Engineering Financial Analysts, manages and oversees assigned Departmental operating and discretionary budgets.
- Interprets various financial reports to assist the Chair/Faculty in managing fiscal matters related to Departmental operating and discretionary funds as well as research and academic programs.
- Manages all administrative operations of the department including:
- Coordination of administrative tasks related to sponsored programs, procurement, financial, human resources, facilities and IT issues with College of Engineering business units.
- Resolution of complex administrative/procedural problems.
- Direct supervision of Departmental administrative staff, ensuring that performance and contributions result in the efficient operation of the Department including:
- Management of individual development by providing coaching, feedback, and reinforcement.
- Oversight of undergraduate and graduate staff in areas of advising/scheduling, graduate admissions, teaching evaluations, and coordination of programs such as life and study skill workshops and special orientation sessions to ensure successful management of undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Ensures that the department gathers and prepares all documents required for the ABET review.
- Represents the Department with vendors, other educational institutions, alumni and government agencies as necessary.
- Serves as the primary contact for faculty within the department on most administrative tasks including research, human resources and fiscal matters.
- Assists the Chair in management of faculty annual performance reviews.
- Ensures adherence to academic and administrative deadlines.
- Prepares for presentation to the Chair, strategic planning, budget and financial forecasting, staffing needs and other departmental initiatives.
- Coordinates special functions such as committees, alumni events and programs.
- Participates in the development and implementation of special initiatives and projects.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field and two to three years of job-related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Education and/or experience should include a working knowledge of financial reporting, administrative policies and procedures, contract and grant administration and human resources management.
- Effective analytical and technical skills are required, including the use of financial management systems, relational databases, spreadsheets and word-processing software programs.
- Financial and budget planning experience required, as well as effective human resource management.
- Effective organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, evaluate and modify administrative support needs.
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate ad-hoc reports that are meaningful and understandable to those not familiar with the data being reported.
- Ability to develop and implement new strategies and procedures when necessary, and be part of the Colleges continuous improvement plan and effectively share any new ideas with peers in other departments and College leadership.
- Ability to effectively communicate and adjust to an ever-changing environment.
- Exhibit the ability to encourage, mentor and lead assigned staff as they strive to better themselves in the work environment; and support their efforts to prepare for future promotional and/or learning opportunities.
- Exhibit the ability to promote an atmosphere in the office as one that encourages cross-training, transparency and a team approach to work/task coordination.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend