Career and Academic Advisor – (Mentoring & Coaching)Job ID: req5189
Position Closing Date: February 19, 2023 or Open Until Filled
General Function And Job Duties
Performs a variety of tasks related to advising students regarding career direction and program/course selection. Conducts orientation, prepares academic and career plans, identifies and resolves student barriers, maintains student records, monitors student progress.
Characteristic Duties And Responsibilities
- Provides academic and career counseling to new and prospective students; explains policies, procedures, and program requirements; and assists students in selecting educational and career goals.
- Advises and counsels students in developing career and academic plans and planning and selecting courses and activities that meet educational and career goals.
- Consults with students regarding academic, career, and personal problems or barriers and assists students in obtaining support to meet these specific needs. Monitors student attendance and performance and provides interventions as needed.
- Reviews, interprets, and evaluates applicant assessment results and other information to determine appropriate placement. May administer standardized testing, as needed.
- Maintains library of educational and career information; reviews and updates information as necessary.
- Maintains records and files on advising activities; updates information and pulls inactive files.
- Develops informative workshops and training modules that assist the students with their academic and career goal attainment and familiarity of available support services
- Develops flyers, program-specific newsletter and other visual aids that are designed to keep students informed and help them navigate through the college system.
- Communicates important and timely information to students via email, phone, and face-to-face meetings; responds to students requests in a timely manner
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities And Characteristics
Knowledge of career software and assessment instruments
Strong Microsoft Office Skills
Strong knowledge of career development and job search processes
Excellent presentation skills
Flexibility and the ability to handle multiple tasks
Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
Ability to work with diverse student population
Experience in planning and delivering workshops
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution and one year of academic advising experience
- A completed Central Piedmont application must be completed on-line. During the on-line application process, applicants will be prompted to upload or build a cover letter and resume.
- College transcripts (if required for the position) must be attached on-line in the “additional documents” section of the application process.
- Applicants that do not have an electronic copy of their transcripts, or find the electronic copy is rejected on-line due to the file size, may fax their transcripts to (704) 330-6066 for attachment to the on-line application.
- All applications must be received in the Human Resources office by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date posted to be guaranteed for consideration. Applications of qualified candidates received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the hiring manager.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary for this position is $38,628 – $50,000. Pay grade for this position is J. Initial placement for new employees is customarily at entry level through 25% percentile. Contract type is Professional. Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include off-shift hours, evening and weekend assignments may be required of any position. All positions are subject to budget approval. Central Piedmont offers an excellent benefits package to full-time employees including Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Education Benefits, Disability and more.
ABOUT Central Piedmont
Central Piedmont Community College is Mecklenburg County’s resource for academic excellence and cultural enrichment. Central Piedmont is in close proximity to the Queen City’s robust public transportation system, professional sports arenas, and a number of premiere restaurant and shopping outlets that attract visitors from Mecklenburg County and beyond. Today, close to 40,000 students call Central Piedmont home. With eight locations, it is one of the largest community colleges in the Carolinas and serves people of all ages who seek a real-world, affordable, hands-on education that will transform their lives and strengthen the economic, social, and cultural environment of Mecklenburg County.
Notice of Nondiscrimination As a recipient of federal funds, Central Piedmont is required to comply with Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C.
- 1681 et seq. (“Title IX”), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs or activities. Central Piedmont Community College does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs or activities, including in the context of admission or employment.