United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 11150644
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
11/10/2022 – 12/09/2022
CLASSIFIED IT SPECIALIST
475 LENFANT PLZ SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20260-0004
TITLE: CLASSIFIED IT SPECIALIST
GRADE: V – 01
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 2210-0432
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 108,080.00 – 125,705.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 102708
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Serves as the technical IT subject matter expert for the National Security and Insider Threat Programs; monitors and
maintains IT systems at Secure Compartmentalized Information Facilities (SCIFs) Provides technical guidance regarding
USPS information security policies, guidelines, and procedures to internal and external stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Installs, configures, and manages secure and non-secure IT networks and systems; ensures secure and non-secure
communication capabilities comply with the National Communications Directives and are accurately configured and
accessible from deployed environments (e.g., SCIF, mobile platforms vehicle, remote emergency disaster area).
2. Coordinates support of command, control and connectivity for IT & communications systems with outside vendor help desk
and IT support (e.g., Joint Service Provider, Defense Information Systems Agency).
3. Serves as the technical IT advisor for national security IT and communication systems; ensures networks and systems are
integrated and configured correctly. Collaborates with service providers to develop new and enhance existing solutions for
non-secure and secure communications.
4. Monitors network performance to identify errors or inefficacies. Diagnoses, troubleshoots, and resolves hardware,
software, or other network and system problems; coordinates with vendors and internal system support to schedule and
implement network and system updates.
5. Provides technical expertise, guidance, and assistance to stakeholders in specialized security areas such as encryption
6. Develops and facilitates training to stakeholders on using secure and non-secure technologies. Reviews, updates, and
documents security requirements for various technologies (e.g., red/black engineering).
Manager of the unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: 3 years of experience with advanced telecommunications, including LAN, WAN, routers,
data communications, and connectivity sufficient to troubleshoot secure and non-secure equipment and hardware
components at a software level within routers, switches, desktops and servers and develop and maintain analytical
procedures to meet changing requirements and ensure maximum operations.
2. Ability to write and articulate security policies, procedures, guidelines, technical bulletins, training material, and
3. Ability to conduct system audit reviews to ensure enforcement of security policy, training programs, and procedures.
4. Knowledge of Structure Query Language (SQL) database development and administration sufficient to utilize network
5. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: 3 years of experience managing and maintaining classified networks and enterprise
6. SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Applicant must submit to a Tier 5 Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and a Sensitive
Compartmented Information (SCI) if required. This investigation requires, among other things, completion of a questionnaire
and fingerprinting for a criminal records check. The investigation may require a drug test. The successful applicant will be
required to obtain and maintain a Top Secret or Top Secret/SCI clearance while holding this position.
Desirable Qualifications: Previous COMSEC Custodian, Previous work in implementing Intelligence Community Directives
(ICD) security requirements. Previous experience with SVTC systems and communication technology integration.
**Reimbursement of relocation expenses will NOT be authorized**
**This position requires a SSBI clearance. This process can take up to 6 months from the date the offer letter is returned**
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For information, please contact Chydea Faulkner at Talent@usps.gov.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service’s requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting’s closing date. Applicants claiming veterans’
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans’ preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.