The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) is the state agency responsible for ensuring clean air and water, the safe management of toxics and hazards, the recycling of solid and hazardous wastes, the timely cleanup of hazardous waste sites and spills, the preservation of wetlands and coastal resources and commits to address Environmental Justice and equity for all people of the Commonwealth. MassDEP’s mission is to protect and enhance the Commonwealth’s natural resources – air, water, and land – to provide for the health, safety, and welfare of all people, and to ensure a clean and safe environment for future generations. In carrying out this mission MassDEP commits to address and advance environmental justice and equity for all people of the Commonwealth, provide meaningful, inclusive opportunities for people to participate in agency decisions that affect their lives; and ensure a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
MassDEP seeks applicants for the position of Community Engagement Manager – Manager V (MV). The position is assigned to the Western Regional Office (WERO) Bureau of Administrative Services, located in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Under direction of the Deputy Regional Director or designee, the MV is responsible for proactive and responsive outreach to the public in general and to Environmental Justice (EJ) communities in particular. The Community Engagement Manager provides assistance, coordination, and community engagement to help promote equity, justice, and transparency in departmental actions, such as permitting of new projects. This position is a liaison between department staff and members of the public who deserve meaningful inclusion and involvement in order to fully understand Department actions and provide input. This position provides clear and easy to consume information to EJ groups including communities of color, low income and those that are not proficient in English. This may happen through calls/communications to the Department and through routine and proactive contact and conversation with this group of stakeholders. This position also provides support to the Department’s Diversity and Civil Rights initiatives for the Region and coordinates departmental technical assistance to the regulated community.
The primary duties for this position are to be an effective public engagement coordinator for the public and be the primary contact to liaison with staff for inquiries from the regulated community and the public. Other duties include coordinating staff comment letters for Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), Public Involvement Planning, managing public records requests and working with the DRD on press inquiries.
Duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Implementing and administering effective regional public/community engagement programs/events supporting MassDEP’s commitment to enhancing public outreach addressing Environmental Justice issues, including identification and engagement of parties regarding project outreach, public hearings, public informational meetings, and community meetings/events.
- Arranging for Technical Assistance with program staff.
- Ensuring regional compliance with the Massachusetts Public Records Law through managing staff responses, processing, and tracking responses.
- Acting as the regional press liaison and working with the DRD and MassDEP Director of Public Affairs in Boston.
- Serving as the initial point of contact for the public and others for complaints, coordinating complaint responses with appropriate staff, and tracking and responding to complaints.
- Serving as the regional Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) manager to coordinate MEPA responses with staff ensuring that the appropriate EJ concerns are identified.
- Providing support to staff in the planning of events, conferences and speaking engagements.
- Managing and supporting agency initiatives and operations and perform other duties, as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications at Hire:
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing skills for a variety of audiences.
- Project management and coordination skills.
- Experience recruiting and/or hiring.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects at once.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Ability to be innovative and creative in reaching EJ populations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information to diverse audiences.
- Experience in organizing and presenting information.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, audio-visual setup and on-line communication and collaboration platforms (e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, etc.).
When you embark on a career with the Commonwealth, you are offered an outstanding suite of employee benefits that add to the overall value of your compensation package. We take pride in providing a work experience that supports you, your loved ones, and your future.
Want the specifics? Explore our Employee Benefits and Rewards!