United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 11221023
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
01/10/2023 – 01/17/2023
COMPUTE ARCHITECT III
EAGAN ITASC 1
2825 LONE OAK PKWY
EAGAN, MN 55121-9000
DOMICILE MAY BE CONSIDERED!
TITLE: COMPUTE ARCHITECT III
GRADE: EAS – 25
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 2210-0475
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 105.920,00 – 122.220,00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 266366
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Persons Eligible to Apply
All U.S. Citizens, permanent resident aliens, citizens of American Samoa or any other territory owing allegiance to the United
States. Applicants must be available for screening activities, including an interview. Applicants entitled to veterans’
preference and/or covered by the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act may apply for any posted position.
If you are a military veteran, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy #4) to your application under the
Veterans Preference tab.
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System.
Applicants must be age 18 at the time of hire (or age 16 with a high school diploma). All applicants must apply online at
www.usps.com/careers to be considered for this employment opportunity. Paper or Emailed Applications for Employment will
not be accepted in person or by email. You must have a valid email address to apply as communication regarding
employment opportunities, examinations, interviews and background checks will be conveyed by email.
Please add the following email domain addresses to your contact list right away to allow correspondence, especially if you
use SPAM blocking software, use a yahoo or gmail account, or use a work or military email address!
@usps.gov @psionline.com @geninfo.com
NOTICE SCREENINGS REQUESTED: You may receive multiple requests for background checks in regards to this
employment opportunity. Respond to all requests quickly as we anticipate filling our vacancies quickly and nonresponses
may result in disqualification for this opportunity.
Newly appointed EAS Grade employees are subject to a 1-year probationary period.
Applicants must demonstrate in writing the requirements listed on the announcement through a combination of education,
training and experience. You may use both your Summary of Accomplishments and description of duties (under Work
Experience) to address each of the requirements listed.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Serves as a senior architect in platform as a service (PaaS) solutions for on-premise private cloud and public cloud
engineering/architecture for the Network & Compute Engineering teams. Leads the adoption and implementation of PaaS
technology systems via planning, automation and optimization. Depending upon assignment, this role will focus on
innovation, lifecycle, services, or performance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Leads projects and initiatives for PaaS Solutions. Provides technical direction and guidance to others regarding the
adoption and implementation of PaaS technologies and architecture. Ensures alignment with organizational strategies and
2. Engineers lifecycle of data technologies both mainstream and non-mainstream including operating guides, configuration
baselines, and implementation standards for Commercial off the Shelf (COTS) and Opensource technologies. This applies to
server hardware, server operating systems, critical infrastructure applications, cloud-based technologies, middleware, data
technologies, and other associated technologies.
3. Automates provisioning, patching, lifecycle of data technologies and application deployments utilizing DevSecOps
strategies for use by applications, enterprise data & tenant architectures, and developers.
4. Automates provisioning of service deployments through Cloud, PaaS, Software as a service (SaaS), Infrastructure as a
service (IaaS), and Edge utilizing DevSecOps strategies for use by applications, enterprise data & tenant architectures.
5. Designs or Engineers physical and virtual compute, database, storage, cloud environments/services and backup
technology offerings across a wide variety of systems and platforms including operating systems, web/app servers, event
streaming, and containerization utilizing DevSecOps strategies.
6. Provides escalated technical assistance to systems professionals engaged in the analysis, design, development,
implementation, and maintenance of IT systems. Escalates issues to appropriate personnel.
7. Engineers optimized performance measurements, resiliency and security metrics utilizing standards, policies, processes
and industry best practices for all technology offerings.
8. Engineers existing on-premise technology offerings (e.g., mainframes, servers, appliances, databases, middleware
components, operating systems).
9. Provides project oversight and technical guidance to lower level employees, and employees assigned on a project or task
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must possess one of the following: 1. Bachelors or Graduate degree in
Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by
a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education. OR 2.
Possess four (4) years of equivalent professional experience managing enterprise-wide network or compute technologies.
2. Ability to adopt or implement technologies or systems for Commercial off the Shelf (COTS) and Opensource technologies
at an enterprise level, including Platform as a Service (PaaS) using industry developments, business information systems
and practices, development methods, procedures, standards, techniques, Agile application life cycle, test driven
development, continuous integration of code development, and current cloud technologies.
3. Skill using cloud services from one or more of the primary Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) (e.g., Amazon, Microsoft or
Google) sufficient to manage a Cloud-based PaaS solution and design Infrastructure as a Service solutions.
4. Ability to design new and innovative solutions sufficient to incorporating emerging technologies compatible with existing
5. Skill leading and developing automation technologies using agile concepts sufficient to manage infrastructure in a
DevSecOps environment across a large Information Technology environment.
6. Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, sufficient to develop and present technical briefings; provide written and/or
verbal guidance on technical issues; and prepare/present recommendations and reports to leadership.
7. Ability to research, analyze, and evaluate new and existing designs, develop requirements, and identify system solutions in
detailed measurable terms that achieve optimum performance and cost effectiveness.
**This position requires a MBI/NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
applying for. You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For information, please contact Edward Young at [email protected]
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service’s requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting’s closing date. Applicants claiming veterans’
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans’ preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.