As a Consulting Municipal Forester with ECI, your office is the great outdoors! We keep the lights on anywhere there is a power line – whether in the city, the rural countryside, or deep in the remote forest. As an ECI Forester, you will keep communities informed about the trees and power lines while ensuring safe delivery of their power.
Some of the most important characteristics of ECI Consulting Municipal Foresters is that you are open-minded and able to engage in safe, constructive interactions with the public. You are accountable for advancing a culture of safety and excellence while providing quality and value to our customers and clients.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Industry competitive pay.
- Company vehicle with fuel card to take to and from home & work.
- Medical/Health/Dental/Vision/AFLAC/Vacation Accrual/Paid Holidays/EAP eligibility on day one of employment (Full-Time Employees).
- 401K, life insurance, long-term disability eligibility first of the month after 3 months of service.
- Sick Time eligibility on day 90 of employment.
- Weekly pay checks and direct deposit.
- Participation in Employee Referral Program (must meet eligibility requirements).
- Boot and clothing program (company funded).
- Ongoing training and assistance with obtaining industry certifications.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Respond to requests and complete inspections for shade tree services from the public.
- Organize and prioritize work by type, geography, seasons, etc. and submit to the Superintendent of Public Works.
- Perform grading inspections as they relate to preservation or destruction of trees on private land.
- Perform tree removal inspections on private property and enforce tree preservation ordinances.
- Assist Public Works, Zoning, Health and Police officials in the enforcement of required ordinances (sidewalk, visibility, dead tree, growth hazards).
- Conduct an annual hazard tree survey of all Township trees in the Township Right of Way, public property and parks.
- Prepare tree, pruning, planting and other bid specifications and quotations as required and assist the Superintendent of Public Works in preparing fact sheets, resolutions, certificates of finding and purchase orders.
- Prepare and facilitates a Community Forestry Management plan every five years.
- Apply for applicable tree related grants.
- Prepare an annual accomplishment report and submit to State.
- Prepare annual Tree City, USA application.
- Organize and facilitate annual Arbor Day celebration in conjunction with the Shade Tree Advisory Board.
- Attend all Shade Tree Advisory Board meetings.
- Oversee Township Beautification League and Garden Club projects on Township property and Right of Way.
- Review Planning and Zoning board adjustment plans for conformance with landscape zoning requirements and best practices.
- Monitor all line clearance pruning within Township Right of Way.
- Maintain all Township Street Tree Inventory.
WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- Solid, local tree identification skills and ability to read maps.
- Certification as an ISA Arborist, Registered Forester, or other related certificates/licenses.
- Willingness to work alone, outdoors in various weather conditions and terrain.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, smartphones).
WHAT WOULD BE AMAZING TO HAVE:
- Bachelor s degree in Forestry, Environmental Science, or related discipline.
- NJ State Licensed Tree Expert or ability to obtain within 3 months of hire preferred.
- Prior UVM, Forestry or related outdoor experience.
- Prior experience with GIS software/technology.
- A strong desire to grow and develop your career and knowledge in the UVM industry with ECI.
- Bi-lingual speaking (English and Spanish).
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ECI FORESTER:
Work alone in an outdoor field environment; vehicle and foot patrol of utility power lines; remote locations as well as urban, city environment; physical demands and travel from site to site, including walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills, and slopes; exposure to noise, dust, grease, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions. Reasonable accommodations, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The team member must have sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk up to 10 miles per day, stand, sit, and operate a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, run, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp and make repetitive hand, arm and shoulder movement in the performance of daily duties (e.g., forcefully beat down brush); carry, push and/or pull light to heavy amounts of weight, frequently lift up to 10 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 60 lbs. (sandbags); to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; ability to verbally communicate to exchange information with public; ability to see and hear in normal range with or without correction; operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, range finder, fyrake, water backpack, shovel, and traffic cone.
Environmental Consultants (ECI) is a leading provider of vegetation and asset management consulting services to the utility industry. Successful professionals at ECI have come from a variety of backgrounds, including: forestry, arboriculture, natural resource management, biology, landscape maintenance, horticulture, nursery management, environmental sciences, geology, agriculture, parks & recreation management, urban forestry, geography, and more. For more information visit our website www.eci-consulting.com
All candidates must possess a valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA : Minority/Female/ Vets/ Disabled.