Louisiana Department of Public Safety &
Corrections – Corrections Services
ELAYN HUNT CORRECTIONAL CENTER*
St. Gabriel, LA
THIS POSITION WILL BE FILLED BY PROMOTION_
_ OF A PERMANENT CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEE OF_
LA DPS&C – CORRECTIONS SERVICES (Adult DOC)
This position has a Special Entrance Rate of $24.64 per hour.*
This position may be filled as: *
- DETAIL: The selected employee may be required to serve a trial detail prior to being permanently promoted.
Exams and License Requirements*
- Applicants must have taken and passed the Corrections Captain test prior to the close of this announcement.
To apply for this vacancy*, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities.
REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION TO MAKE SURE IT IS CURRENT.*
- IMPORTANT: In the supplemental questions section, applicants must authorize the HR Office of DPS&C-Corrections Services to contact prior employers to check references under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), to be considered for employment, by answering ‘YES’ to the PREA question.
- Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completed education and experience sections on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
- Please list your security experience separately by job title so that years of higher levels of supervisory security experience may be calculated. Ex. Corrections Cadet/Sergeant/Master Sergeant, Corrections Lieutenant, Corrections Captain, etc.
- There is no guarantee that everyone who applies to this posting will be interviewed. The hiring supervisor/manager has 90 days from the closing date of the announcement to make a hiring decision. Specific information about this job will be provided to you in the interview process, should you be selected.
- Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
- This Agency is a Drug Free Workplace.
- This is a 24 hour facility.
- Applicants may be required to work shift work
- To view and apply to any of our other postings we currently have available, click HERE.
The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections – Corrections Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on any non-merit factor including disability.
For information about this job posting contact: *
Elayn Hunt Correctional Center
Human Resources Department
Ph: (225) 319-4535
Fax: (225) 342-5968
Possession of a high school diploma or GED plus three years of experience in a correctional or penal institution with responsibility for the security, custody, rehabilitation, or classification of offenders. One year of this experience must have been in a position equivalent in scope of responsibility or complexity of work performed to a Corrections Lieutenant in the State service.
One year of continuous employment in any field of work will substitute for the high school diploma or GED.
Law enforcement experience (e.g., State Police, deputy, or police officer) which must be gained after Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification OR experience as a military police officer will substitute for the general required experience on a month for month basis.
Supervisory experience in a law enforcement position (State Police, deputy, police officer, or military police officer) will substitute for the required specialized experience on a month for month basis.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must have attained eighteenth birthday at time of application.
An applicant who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or felony, or who is under indictment on a felony charge will be disqualified until relief from the disabilities imposed by state and federal laws is granted.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) (Part 115:17) of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations an applicant who has been found to have engaged in any form of sexual abuse; engaged in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable or refused will be disqualified.
Prison Enterprises industry or farm operations jobs are qualifying as experience in the rehabilitation of offenders.
Qualifying jobs in State service include Prison Enterprises Farm Supervisor, Prison Enterprises Farm Manager, Prison Enterprises Assistant Supervisor, and Prison Enterprises Supervisor.
Only Prison Enterprises job titles with the level of work designated as “supervisor” or higher will be considered equivalent in scope and responsibility or complexity to work performed as a Corrections Lieutenant in the state service, and therefore qualifying for the specialized experience.
Function of Work:
To supervise correctional officers engaged in security work as administrative supervisor in a correctional unit.
Level of Work:
General from a Corrections Major or higher level security officer.
Direct line over Corrections Lieutenant.
Location of Work:
Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Corrections Services, state adult and juvenile correctional institutions.
Differs from Corrections Lieutenant by the level of responsibility for supervising a large security component of a correctional institution.
Differs from Corrections Major by the absence of responsibility for managing a major unit or component of a correctional institution.
Examples of Work
Serves as a shift supervisor and unit manager.
Serves as security supervisor for inmates working outside the institutional grounds (e. g., field crews or public service trustee crews).
Serves as chief investigator or chief of internal security.
Serves as an instructor at the Corrections Training Academy.
Serves as a safety officer coordinating safety programs for the unit in which it serves.
Conducts safety meetings for the agency to inform employees of the newest rules and procedures.
Inspects buildings, equipment, and job sites for compliance with safety and fire codes.
Serves as a training officer.
Reviews disciplinary actions against inmates and staff.
Assists shift supervisor of higher rank in a large organizational unit.
Performs special security functions within a unit as assigned (e.g., Impact program, etc.)
Serves as the canine training officer.
Commands and supervises a chase team with responsibility for the dogs only.
Participates in American Correctional Association (ACA) audits and basic jail guideline audits.
Participates in the development of policies and procedures for the security and treatment programs at an institution.
Compiles accident statistics, hazards data, records and trends.
Prepares and reviews reports of institutional activities and may determine an appropriate course of action.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $4,270.93 – $6,273.00 per month