Louisiana Department of
Public Safety & Corrections –
ALLEN CORRECTIONAL CENTER
THIS POSITION WILL BE FILLED AS A PROBATIONAL APPOINTMENT
- or PROMOTION OF A PERMANENT CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEE OF*
- LOUISIANA STATE GOVERNMENT (State Employee)*
This position has a Special Entrance Rate of $26.37 per hour.
This position may be filled as:
- DETAIL: The selected employee may be required to serve a trial detail prior to being permanently promoted.
- PROBATIONAL APPOINTMENT: Current permanent status classified State employees may be required to accept a probational appointment, if selected.
- TEMPORARY JOB APPOINTMENT: This position may be filled by temporary job appointment. If filled as a temporary job appointment, should a permanent position become available, the employee may be converted to a probational appointment.
In the supplemental questions section, applicants must authorize* the HR Office of DPS&C-Corrections Services to contact prior employers to check references under the *Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) to be considered for employment.
- REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION TO MAKE SURE IT IS CURRENT. Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completed education and experience sections on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete
- Exams and License Requirements
- No Civil Service test score is required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
- Failure to provide licensure information may result in the disqualification of your application
- Any degree, certificate, special license, or DD-214 must be verified by official documentation prior to hire.
- An attached resume will not replace a completed application; failure to provide your qualifying work experience may result in your application not being considered.
The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections – Corrections Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on any non-merit factor including disability.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities.
- Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
- There is no guarantee that everyone who applies to this posting will be interviewed. The hiring supervisor/manager has 90 days from the closing date of the announcement to make a hiring decision. Specific information about this job will be provided to you in the interview process, should you be selected.
- This is a 24 hour facility.
- This Agency is a Drug Free Workplace.
- For information about this job posting contact: *
Allen Correctional Center
Human Resources Department
Possession of a high school diploma or GED plus four years of experience in a correctional or penal institution with responsibility for the security, custody, rehabilitation, or classification of offenders. Two years of this experience must have been in a position equivalent in scope of responsibility or complexity of work performed to a Corrections Lieutenant in the State service.
One year of continuous employment any field of work will substitute for the high school diploma or GED.
Law enforcement experience (e.g., State Police, deputy, or police officer) which must be gained after Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification OR experience as a military police officer will substitute for the general required experience on a month for month basis.
Supervisory experience in a law enforcement position (State Police, deputy, police officer, or military police officer) will substitute for the required specialized experience on a month for month basis.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must have attained eighteenth birthday at time of application.
An applicant who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or felony, or who is under indictment on a felony charge will be disqualified until relief from the disabilities imposed by state and federal laws is granted.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) (Part 115:17) of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations an applicant who has been found to have engaged in any form of sexual abuse; engaged in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable or refused will be disqualified.
Prison Enterprises industry or farm operations jobs are qualifying as experience in the rehabilitation of offenders.
Qualifying jobs in State service include Prison Enterprises Farm Supervisor, Prison Enterprises Farm Manager, Prison Enterprises Assistant Supervisor, and Prison Enterprises Supervisor.
Only Prison Enterprises job titles with the level of work designated as “supervisor” or higher will be considered equivalent in scope and responsibility or complexity to work performed as a Corrections Lieutenant in the state service, and therefore qualifying for the specialized experience.
Function of Work:
To serve as a unit manager at a correctional facility or to serve as a safety officer at a Level 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, or 2A facility.
Level of Work:
Broad from Corrections Lieutenant Colonel or Corrections Colonel.
Direct line over Corrections Captains and functional over non-uniformed personnel assigned to a unit and other personnel assigned to a unit to ensure programs are maintained throughout the unit (e.g., classification, religion, food service, etc.)
Location of Work:
Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Corrections Services, state adult and juvenile correctional institutions.
Differs from Corrections Captain by the responsibility for serving as a unit manager.
A unit is defined as having major components such as security, food service, classification, treatment, and religion.
Differs from a Corrections Lieutenant Colonel by the absence of final authority and responsibility for serving as a program manager.
Examples of Work
Serves as Director of the Louisiana Department of Corrections Training Academy.
Serves as a unit manager.
Serves as Corrections Major (only two permitted) located at Louisiana State Penitentiary that holds all 90-day Review Boards, Special Boards, the Initial Classification Board, and the Protection Court for all inmates.
Reviews disciplinary matters concerning both offenders and staff.
Reviews and prepares reports of institutional activities and may decide a course of action.
Serves as a safety officer coordinating safety programs for a 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, or a 2A facility.
Conducts safety meetings for the agency to inform employees of the newest rules and procedures.
Serves as shift supervisor of a large organization unit.
Assists in the development, installation, and coordination of policies, procedures, and regulations for custody, security, and treatment of offenders.
Oversees major institutional unusual occurrences.
Job Type: Temporary
Pay: $3,784.00 – $6,712.00 per month