Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services is a 501(c)(3) environmental law firm and community empowerment nonprofit that believes that all communities should have access to the tools of change, and that everyone has the right to make decisions about their air, water, and places where they live, work and play. We work toward this vision by providing client-centered legal representation regardless of income; through education and coaching in environmental justice communities to support community-driven decisions about their air, water, and places; and by providing mentorship of new attorneys in legal services entrepreneurship.
The Development Director will play a key role in achieving Fair Shake’s mission by helping to expand our work into new communities and meet the demand for client-centered legal counseling. The Development Director will take the lead in creating and executing the strategy for all organizational fundraising activities, including, but not limited to, grants, individual and corporate donor program, special events, and other creative fundraising ideas. This position will also be responsible for building positive relationships with staff, foundations, community members, and small and large donors to support Fair Shake’s mission and help tell our story. This is a new position with the opportunity to bring your ideas, passion, and development skills to play a large role in Fair Shake’s future development.
- Create, execute, and oversee a strategic fundraising plan, including creating a multi-year plan with clear goals and objectives that includes diverse revenue streams, including, but not limited to, grants, corporate donors, individual donors, and special events.
- Oversee all grant activities, including identifying new grant opportunities, writing, and submitting grants, and managing grant compliance and reporting.
- Build and maintain relationships with foundation staff, individual and corporate donors, and community members to execute fundraising activities.
- Create and execute strategy for individual and corporate donor engagement and communication.
- Coordinate and manage all fundraising special events.
- Manage fundraising and donation platforms and tracking systems.
- Communicate and collaborate with the Executive Director and other Fair Shake staff about fundraising updates, successes, and challenges to create a defined fundraising strategy to support the Fair Shake mission.
- When appropriate, collaborate with community-based organizations and municipalities to help identify state and federal funding opportunities that meet community vision, and provide some limited support in grant writing.
- Contribute to the strategic vision and development of the Fair Shake mission.
Qualifications & Strengths:
- Fundraising experiences that are grounded in equity and justice. For examples of what this means to Fair Shake: https://communitycentricfundraising.org/ccf-principles/
- Excellent writing, communication, storytelling, and presentation skills.
- Ability to create, execute, and oversee a full-scale and strategic fundraising plan, including creating multi-year plan with clear goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to build positive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to identify, write, and manage grants.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A commitment to:
Promoting fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people, regardless of race, color, national origin, or income in the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies.
Empowering communities and stimulating economies in the Appalachian Basin region by providingenvironmental legal services and counseling to allow the underserved to make decisions about practical and innovative solutions to complex environmental challenges across the region.
- At least five years’ experience in a similar role creating and executing fundraising and development activities and strategies.
- A bachelor’s degree in related field or experience commensurate with job requirements.
Fair Shake is an organization whose staff works primarily from their homes, which are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia. An initial home office stipend will be provided to enable remote work and a computer and monitor will be supplied. Organizational meetings are primarily conducted by video conference.
Compensation & Benefits:
Fair Shake is offering an annual salary range of $60,000 – $70,000, commensurate with skills and experience, as well as a comprehensive benefits package that includes 20 days paid vacation; travel cost reimbursement; medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; and a retirement savings plan.
We will be considering applications on a rolling basis as they come in, with a deadline date of March 10, 2023. To apply, please submit via e-mail a letter of interest explaining why this role excites you, along with a copy of your résumé to:
- Michael Parker, Executive Director
Fair Shake Environmental Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity in our workforce. People who live in the Ohio River Valley and other Environmental Justice communities; people of color; women; and members of the LGBTQIA+ communities are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Pittsburgh, PA 15206: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 5 years (Required)
- Grant Writing: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Pittsburgh, PA 15206