We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture , values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The stories we tell have the power to fire imaginations, change minds and inspire action.
Environmental Defense Fund is developing a brand new digital storytelling platform and we need YOU to help make the project soar.
Our new full time Digital Production Editor will be responsible for turning all edited stories into meticulously accurate, beautifully presented web pages.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the role will be part proofreader, part headline writer, part web editor, part page builder – and an integral part of EDF’s thriving Editorial team.
We are the group of journalists responsible for telling the stories that illuminate EDF’s successes, elevate EDF’s brand, and entertain, inspire and educate our audiences. By finding fresh new angles on the most pressing environmental issues of the day, our work drives donations, reaches new audiences and supercharges engagement with EDF’s work.
This is a new role with exciting opportunities for the right candidate to grow and make it their own.
The right candidate will be:
- A meticulous copy editor
- A headline writing ninja
- A digital production maven
- A creative powerhouse
- A talented wordsmith
- A keen collaborator
- A dynamic self starter
- Style check and proofread all stories produced by the Editorial team
- Write snappy headlines, photo captions and alt. text with an eye to audience engagement, accessibility and SEO
- Source and resize photos in collaboration with the editor, writer and photo editor
- Take primary responsibility for publishing content in Drupal
- Manage elements of the upcoming digital platform with an eye to maintaining freshness and reinforcing the EDF brand
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 5+ years experience in digital editing and publishing for a news organization or online magazine
- Experience independently creating and publishing a variety of content online
- Experience with Drupal a plus
- Experience with basic HTML and troubleshooting common issues in code view
- A passion for beautiful online storytelling and its power to effect change in the world
- Meticulous obsession with accuracy, spelling, grammar and style and a familiarity with AP style
- Experience and understanding of SEO tactics in journalism
- Ability to write un-scroll-past-able headlines
- A desire to collaborate with writers, editors, designers, developers and subject matter experts across EDF
- An understanding of the messaging and language sensitivities associated with working for a high profile, science-driven NGO
- A willingness to work outside of regular office hours when deadlines demand
- A passion for addressing the complex global problems that drive climate change, preferred
- Self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Please note that while there may be opportunities to write, this is not primarily a writing role
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 83,000 – 92,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.