Candidates may be eligible for up to a $2,500 hiring bonus!
**In order to be considered for the position, apply through our Careers page by copying and pasting this link in your web browser**
Every person needs the support of others. The Minnesota Department of Human Services – Direct Care and Treatment is looking for person-centered, caring people to support individuals with intellectual disabilities, mental illness, brain injury, and other emotional, behavioral, medical complexities. Our goal is to ensure the people we serve achieve their highest quality of life and personal growth. This vacancy is part of the Community Based Services division of Direct Care & Treatment.
The Community Based Services residential short and long term housing program offers housing and supports to individuals throughout the state of Minnesota who require ongoing staff support/intervention due to cognitive disabilities, medical conditions, physical challenges, Autism Spectrum Disorders, various behavior challenges, and/or lack of adequate survival skills.
With locations across Minnesota, it is likely we will have a vacancy near you, working at one home rather than multiple locations!
As a Direct Support Specialist, you will be a member of a team who helps provide essential services to Minnesota’s most vulnerable residents. On a day-to-day basis, this position will:
- Assist individuals when needed in the performance of work, recreation, and activities of daily living
- Lift, move, or position non-ambulatory or ambulatory individuals
- Administer medications, implement instructions, and act accordingly as directed
- Respond to medical emergencies, including first aid and CPR
- Transport and accompany individuals to medical appointments, community outings, recreational activities, and spiritual events
- Respond therapeutically to individuals with challenging behaviors
We are currently looking for flexible and dedicated people to join our team for a range of positions on a permanent, part-time, intermittent (on-call), or temporary basis. Shifts will be rotating (day/evening) or overnight. Direct Support Specialists that work 20 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits such as insurance, vacation and sick leave, and more.
Working for the Minnesota Department of Human Services Direct Care & Treatment division PAYS!
In addition to a rewarding career in which you will be positively impacting the lives of Minnesota’s most vulnerable residents, we provide competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. This includes a competitive hourly wage, shift differential for hours between 7pm and 7am, affordable insurance, retirement benefits, paid time off and more!
When you start a career with us, you may also be eligible for:
- $2,500 Hiring Bonus! (Current State of Minnesota employees are not eligible for a Hiring Bonus).
- $50 bonus for voluntarily working days off and weekends
- Annual pay increases
- Tuition reimbursement for courses related to the work of DHS
- Student loan reimbursement for eligible positions
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current and valid driver’s license
- Basic math skills
- Clear communication skills
- Basic computer skills
Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures.
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS – The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16.02 – $25.41 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Signing bonus
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mahnomen, MN: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: One location