10/4/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
At the MBTA, we envision a thriving region enabled by a best-in-class transit system. Our mission is to serve the public by providing safe, reliable, and accessible transportation. MBTA’s core values are built around safety, service, equity, and sustainability and each employee that works for the MBTA performs their roles based on our vision, mission, and values.
All MBTA employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate, at appropriate intervals, that they have received all subsequent doses (“boosters”) of the COVID-19 vaccine as recommended by the CDC’s Advisory Council on Immunization Practices and as those recommendations may be updated.
Purpose and Scope
The Director of Maintenance Operations and Strategy position will develop and manage all support services required for the Engineering and Maintenance department to effectively maintain the MBTA’s infrastructure and execute necessary capital work. This includes the Maintenance Control Center, Planning and Scheduling, and Time Clerks. This role serves as the primary liaison between Engineering and Maintenance and the Asset Management team. In addition, the Director of Maintenance Operations and Strategy will assist the Chief and Deputy Chief of E&M in developing department level goals and improvement plans including maintaining department level KPIs and metrics and assisting department directors in developing new business processes to facilitate continuous improvement.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support of maintenance operations to the four functional areas of E&M; Maintenance of Way (MOW), Signals & Communications Maintenance (SCM), Power Systems Maintenance (PSM), and Transit Facilities Maintenance (TFM).
- Work with E&M Leadership team to develop annual strategy and goals for E&M and facilitate the achievement of those goals through leading continuous improvement projects and creating KPI/Metric dashboards.
- Work with E&M leadership to promote data driven decision making through process development, data analytics, and strategic planning.
- Work with Directors, Deputy Directors, and Project Coordinators in E&M Departments to manage continuous improvement projects enabling the department to reach its strategic goals.
- Manage daily Maintenance Control Center (MCC) operations including service request and work order monitoring, emergency response, and customer facing issue resolution. Lead a team of a Supervisor and MCC Clerks.
- Transform MCC into the primary customer service interface and internal communication hub for E&M by developing skillsets and tools to enable MCC to accurately record/assign/update work orders, give status updates, and follow-up on ongoing issues.
- Work with Asset Management team to implement and optimize the new Asset Management system by facilitating data collection, reviewing business processes, and acting as a liaison between the Asset Management Team and E&M Leadership
- Lead the Planning and Scheduling team to properly plan and coordinate to ensure operations support of track access. Specifically, provide clear priorities to access and recommend key operations resource needs in support of the Authority’s 5-year Capital Investment Plan.
- Optimize the ROW Access planning and scheduling process with the goal of increasing track access for preventative maintenance, reactive maintenance, and capital work and effective allocating personnel resources required to support that those efforts.
- Assist in coordination efforts between E&M and Capital Delivery/ROW Access Committee to ensure E&M support of diversions and ongoing capital project work including attending all coordination meetings and assisting in prioritizing work and allocating resources.
- Lead a team of a Project Coordinator and Payroll Clerks to ensure proper accounting entries for all E&M operating and capital labor hours.
- Drive continuous process improvement in payroll reporting including improved tracking mechanisms to facilitate optimization of labor allocation by funding source, overtime, and prioritization.
- Enforce the Authority’s safety standards to ensure the safety of workers and customers.
- Remain current with the MBTA’s Safety Plan as well as the position’s outline responsibilities.
- Drive a company or personal vehicle to visit work sites and to assist at emergencies and/or events as needed.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner
- Work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed.
- Respond, either directly or through others, to emergencies twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the Authority while building and maintaining an effective relationship with employees.
- Assist in the management of a workforce by ensuring the fair and consistent application and strict adherence to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the Authority including the EEO, Anti- Discrimination and Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation policies.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Available to work all shifts and locations as assigned or directed
- Available to work as per assignment by the MBTA twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week as directed by supervisory staff for severe weather conditions, emergencies or any other circumstances that may potentially impact service or the safety of service
- Have the ability to work any and all shifts and/or locations assigned or directed.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
Minimum Experience and Required Skills
- Seven (7) years of experience leading, managing, designing, and/or implementing business processes and administrative functions across organizations.
- Five (5) years of experience of people management and/or project leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to pass background screenings and the MBTA’s drug and alcohol screening.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to travel to locations throughout the MBTA’s service area.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to comprehend, communicate, and respond to instructions, orders, signs, notices, inquiries, etc. in English
- Ability to provide internal and external customers with courteous and professional experiences
- Ability to supervise or work effectively with diverse workforce
- Ability to adhere to rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the MBTA including the EEO, anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation policies
- Ability to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, comprehensive background screening, and role appropriate MBTA’s medical clinic screening, potentially including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening
- Have a satisfactory work record for the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting, including overall employment, job performance, discipline, and safety records (infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration for selection)
- Ability to uphold the rights and interests of the MBTA while building and maintaining effective relationships with employees and co-workers
- Ability to work all shifts and / or locations assigned, directed, or necessary for this position, including (for some transit / operations roles) up to twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week as necessary to accommodate severe weather conditions, emergencies, or any other circumstances that may potentially impact service or the safety of service
- All MBTA employees, including full-time, part-time, temporary and contract employees, and interns, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption has been filed and approved. The MBTA also strongly encourages employees to receive booster doses of the vaccine. All employees must complete a COVID-19 Vaccine Attestation Form before starting work
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience in transit or related field leading continuous improvement projects and or designing business processes.
- Experience with financial reporting and/or development of KPIs and metrics for business systems.
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- A master’s Degree in Business, Engineering or related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- High school diploma /GED and seven (7) years relevant experience in leading, managing, designing, and/or implementing business processes and administrative functions across organizations, and/or related experience substitutes for bachelor’s degree.
- An Associate degree in and three (3) years relevant leading, managing, designing, and/or implementing business processes and administrative functions across organizations, and/or related experience substitutes for bachelor’s degree
- All MBTA employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate, at appropriate intervals, that they have received all subsequent doses (“boosters”) of the COVID-19 vaccine as recommended by the CDC’s Advisory Council on Immunization Practices and as those recommendations may be updated.
- Adhere to rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the MBTA including the EEO, anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation policies.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, background screening, and the MBTA’s medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening.
- Have a satisfactory work record for the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting, including overall employment, job performance, discipline, and safety records (infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration for selection).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and complexity of the work being performed by staff assigned to this job, and do not represent an exhaustive list of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities required of staff assigned to this position.
Employment Benefits at the MBTA
The MBTA offers comprehensive benefits packages to employees. Types of benefits offered at the MBTA are subject to the union affiliation / Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) of the position to which you apply. Benefits that may apply to your position include the following:
- Insurance: Health, Dental, Vision, Life (basic and supplemental), Long-Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (PTO): Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays
- Retirement: pension or deferred compensation 401(a), plus MBTA contributions
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to $10,000 per year)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for student loans
- Commuter Choice Parking Program: pre-tax benefits for parking
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): pre-tax benefits for healthcare-related expenses
- Discounted tickets for concerts, movies, travel / vacation, etc. via TicketsAtWork.com
- Shopping discounts via GovX.com
- Verizon and AT&T service discounts
- And more…
The above information is meant to be a general overview of the benefit programs offered by the MBTA. This summary is not a contract and is not meant to change the provisions of union contracts or Authority policy and does not establish a binding past practice.
The MBTA is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
10 Park Plaza
Boston, Massachusetts, 02116