As an Employee Relations Specialist, you will coordinate and oversee the daily aspects of several important employee relations programs.
Contributes to the Labor and Employee Relations Department of the Office of Human Resources and Administrative Services in the Headquarters Office.
Provides guidance, recommendations, and assistance to Airports Authority management on employee issues, conduct and discipline issues, adverse actions, and performance actions concerning non-union employees. Counsels employees on their rights. Administers day-to-day aspects of the Airports Authority employee relations programs including the trades apprentice program, the experiential learning project, employee exit interview program, and family medical leave. Performs related functions.
- Represents the Airports Authority in day-to-day contacts with employees (non-union, management) concerning issues of conduct, performance, discipline, grievances and appeals, apprising management accordingly.
- Oversees the Trades Apprentice program. Makes community and school visits to promote the program. Works with the Employment Specialist to coordinate recruitment efforts. Tracks employees once they are in the program, ensuring that all school records and certifications are properly maintained and in compliance with the Commonwealth of Virginia’s curriculum requirements. Audits program and revises as appropriate. Oversees the budget and costs associated with the Apprentice program.
- Develops partnership opportunities with area colleges, adult learning centers, and trades schools. Matches Airports Authority trades apprentice program with schools, coordinates projects and tracks progress.
- Administers the Exit Interview program. Mails a Pre-Departure Exit Questionnaire to voluntarily separating employees. Schedules and conducts follow-up exit interviews with employees. Tracks information provided in all exit interview questionnaires and issues reports to vice presidents or their designees and senior management on a periodic basis. Complies data and prepares statical reports on employee exits.
- Administers the FMLA program; reviews request and determines FMLA eligibility of employees who need leave due to FMLA-qualifying absences; tracks FMLA leave balances.
- Compiles data, prepares and produces a variety of program reports. May brief managers or make presentations.
- Prepares and monitors the budget for the Labor and Employee Relations Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources administration, with emphasis on employee relations program administration.
- Ability to coordinate and administer human resources programs and deal with confidential employee information.
- Skill in developing and implementing project tracking mechanisms and creating reports and metrics.
- Knowledge of Federal laws and regulations pertaining to HR and benefits in particular (such as FMLA).
- Ability to perform detailed analyses of data and information and make recommendations.
- Ability to speak and write effectively, with emphasis on making presentations and conducting training.
- Ability to use computer hardware and software, with an emphasis on spreadsheet software.
Experience with Apprentice programs or employer/school partnerships.
Experience in a unionized environment.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, or related field.
A background security investigation will be required for all new hires.
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.| Follow us on Twitter @MWAAcareers.