Under general supervision, is responsible for performing journey level technical engineering work securing technical data necessary in initiating engineering related projects. May exercise functional supervision over assigned staff.
6939 W Loop 1604 N (Northwest Service Center, Building 2), San Antonio, Texas 78254
6:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m., Monday – Friday
- Develops drainage layouts and estimated quantities to be used by contractor and in-house crews.
- Calculates bearings, distances, and areas needed in preparing field notes.
- Reviews drainage construction plans, profiles, and specifications to determine accuracy and completeness.
- Directs and advises survey field crews and draftsmen.
- Assists in drafting plans, charts, maps, and specifications for municipal public works projects.
- Prepares, updates, and reviews cost estimates for projects.
- Investigates issues and/or sites prior, during, and after recommended changes are implemented/constructed.
- Researches existing technical data which may affect a project.
- Acts as point of contact for citizens, consultants, and/or contractors and assists in resolving complaints.
- Inputs and analyzes data from a computer database.
- Maintains records and maps on projects assigned.
- Develops and monitors production and project schedules.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- One (1) year of engineering, drafting, or traffic operations experience.
- Valid Class ‘C’ Texas Driver’s License.
- Work Zone Traffic Control Certification
- One year traffic engineering or traffic operations experience
- One year experience working/coordinating with a traffic operations contractor
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, additional background checks may be conducted.
- Knowledge of engineering and drafting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of construction materials.
- Knowledge of surveying techniques and practices.
- Skill in operating a computer in engineering design and drafting.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Ability to research, analyze, and compile engineering data.
- Ability to perform moderately complex engineering and mathematical calculations.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.
- Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment with occasional visits to outdoor sites and exposure to temperature extremes and dirt.
The City of San Antonio (CoSA) strives to provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to attract and retain a highly skilled workforce. To accomplish this, CoSA offers subsidized health care benefits for active and retired employees, paid disability benefits, paid life insurance, as well as automatic participation in a pension program which is currently matched two to one.
For more detailed information, please click on the following link to view Benefits offered by the City of San Antonio:
- Part-Time, Temporary, and non-City positions are not eligible for CoSA Benefits.
- Holiday and Leave benefits for Pre-K 4 SA positions may be different than what is listed at the above link.
The City Of San Antonio is an Equal Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodation Employer. This means that the City does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex (gender), age, disability, national origin, genetic information, or sexual orientation. All individuals are encouraged to apply and compete for jobs with the City of San Antonio.
If you require assistance at any stage of the application process due to a disability, please contact the Human Resources Department so that accommodations may be made to meet your needs. Our telephone number is 210-207-8705 and our fax number is 210-207-2285.