GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the health and well-being of children, adults and families in your community. Working at the YMCA you’ll discover more than a job – you will have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The Group Exercise Instructor will offer quality customer service to our members by teaching safe and functionally challenging classes that promote total fitness development. The instructor will promote other YMCA programs and help to promote our special events. A FUN atmosphere should be created and group interaction should be encouraged.
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR: Provides quality member service everyday by pro-actively helping members, displaying a positive attitude and being courteous. Possesses knowledge of wellness concepts and promote a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle through action and words. Adheres to ACSM and YMCA guidelines as it relates to all Group Exercise classes. Positively support the use of national guidelines, established BPM standards and specific class terminology (ex.ZUMBA) to YMCA members and team members. Develops new choreography and rotate music selection on a regular basis.
- Must have a current CPR, First Aid and O2 certification
- Current relevant national Group Exercise certification (YMCA, AFAA, ACE, Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, Cycle Reebok, etc)
- Instructor must pass group exercise interview and audition
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Walk, stand, kneel, and stoop.
- Maintain continuous operations requiring attention to detail and multi-tasking.
- Must be able to lift, pull and move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Must be physically able to successfully complete required certifications.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- Change the paradigm of post-care to preventive-care through the permanent healthy lifestyle change of YMCA members and YMCA team members.
- Actively participate in the team concept of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads Group Exercise program and within the association.
- Happy and satisfied members as evidenced through surveys.
- Fulfill the YMCA mission by helping members improve in body, mind and spirit.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver’s license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.