We are pleased to offer the opportunity to work as an Information & Referral Specialist within DuPage County’s Department of Community Services. The position supports the department’s call center in the area of social service by responding to requests for assistance in gathering, analyzing and evaluating data relating to needs, and determining appropriate referrals.
This position is grant funded.
- Assists individuals in focusing on particular needs, and with identifying problems
- Screens clients either by phone or in person for eligibility for programs or services offered and completes calls
- Completes intakes with call-in and walk-in clients by gathering demographic, income, assets and needs information
- Enters demographics into the appropriate database
- Assists clients with the completion of applications and related documentation required for services
- Provides advocacy and short term crisis intervention for persons in extreme states of stress and refers them to appropriate resources
- Mails, texts or emails resource information when needed and follows up with individuals and/or referral agency to assure client needs are met
- Conducts inquiries and basic research to determine if unknown types of services are available
- Compiles data on the number of calls, follow-up calls, source of referrals and tabulates required reports for review by supervisor
- Prepares and presents public information material, educational workshops and represents the unit with service providers
- Attend meetings and programs related to relevant social service programs the County supports
- Performs community outreach in the form of public speaking and conducting educational workshops
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
- Completion of an Associate’s Degree
- Two (2) years of experience in call center, customer service, crisis intervention, information and referral or social services role
- Must obtain AIRS (Alliance of Information and Referral Systems) Certification, timeframe for obtaining certification is dependent on education level and prior Information & Referral experience
A pre-employment background check is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A general office environment with a moderate noise level, to include some travel to an off-site facility or building in all weather conditions.