The UChicago Charter School’s North Kenwood/Oakland campus is named after and located at the juncture of the South Side neighborhoods of North Kenwood and Oakland, historic communities formed by African Americans and others seeking a better life, including high quality educational opportunities for their children. In 2008, North Kenwood/Oakland was honored as the recipient of the Illinois State Federation of Community Schools’ Dimon Distinguished Community Schools Award.
The University of Chicago Charter School Corporation expects our teachers and staff to enable each and every one of our students to learn and achieve at high levels. Learning is demanding intellectual work that depends on good instruction, comprehensive academic and social supports, and a school culture of high expectations—all of which is made possible by the best individual and collaborative efforts of our teachers and staff.
The Instructional Aide will be responsible for assisting the teacher in an elementary classroom through clerical support, planning assistance, student engagement and providing direct student supervision during the early bird program, school recess and lunch periods.
- High School Diploma (GED equivalent) or Associates Degree. Two years of college preferred. ISBE Paraprofessional licensure required.
- At least 3 years of experience working in and with urban communities
- 1-2 years of experience working with elementary school-age children in an urban public school setting and/or youth organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate and build respectful relationships with parents and caregivers
- Collaborative, goal-oriented, mission-driven, accountable, responsible, self-managed, and self-motivated
UCCS recruits, hires, compensates, promotes and otherwise manages employees and prospective employees on the basis of individual merit without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any and all other factors protected by law. This policy includes UCCS’s commitment to maintain a workplace free from sexual or other unlawful harassment or discrimination of any nature.