Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Current WGU employees must submit their internal application before 09/16/22 to be considered for the position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision by demonstrating effective and consistent commitment to learner-centered, competency-based educational support.
- Responsible to monitor the course progress of an assigned group of learners in their course(s) and proactively offer support at key points of the student journey.
- Provides expertise in assigned content area and maintains current knowledge in their field.
- Fosters student learning through innovative, effective teaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Offers timely support and outreach to students, including meeting service level agreements as outlined by their department.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in the development of competencies.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Participates in all required training activities.
- Responds with urgency to changing requirements, priorities, and short deadlines.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as the position evolves.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to customize instructional support for learners with a variety of needs and educational backgrounds.
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or similar) applications, virtual instructional platforms, and student management systems.
- Extraordinary customer service orientation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Well organized – conscientious and thorough with detail.
- Ability to use data to make decisions.
- Strong understanding, acceptance, adherence and promotion of the tenets of competency-based education in the WGU model.
Organizational or Student Impact:
- Accountable for decisions that impact individual students.
- Creates or facilitates learning experiences that support students’ attainment of knowledge and skills.
- With specific guidance from senior faculty and program leaders, acts independently in executing teaching practice.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Works on diverse matters of limited complexity.
- Receives general direction from their immediate supervisor or manager.
- Effectively utilizes resources to address student concerns and inquiries.
- Supports student needs to help them achieve course or program outcomes at the individual student level.
- Follows university and department established policies and best practices.
Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with students as appropriate to support student questions and needs.
- Communicates with fellow faculty members as appropriate within and outside of the department.
- Provides feedback regarding discipline and practice leadership.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Serves as a contributing and collegial member of teams.
- Adheres to learning and operational quality guidance and instructions.
- Supports initiatives within the area of specialty.
- Displays a positive attitude toward change and supports change management practices.
- Masters of Nursing. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing student support and instruction.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in medical surgical nursing
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse learner profiles.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
- Doctorate, or terminal degree in a specific content area. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- State and/or federal legislative requirements and/or college accreditation requirements may apply to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
- Qualifications and/or licensure/certifications vary by degree programs.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.