Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
As part of the Federal Reserve’s mission to promote accessible, safe, and efficient systems to facilitate dollar transactions, the Federal Reserve System seeks a technologist to perform central bank digital currency research and development. Given the dollar’s important role, Federal Reserve System seeks to further understand the cost and benefits of the potential technologies for central bank digital currencies, and how the system better understand this emerging field.
This position is a unique opportunity to be part of a team on the leading edge of technology research into central bank digital currency. You’ll join a world-class team in a dynamic environment that has the feel of a start-up. As a Lead Application Developer, you will design and implement systems critical to this research.
We are looking for a Lead Application Developer to implement example systems related to a Central Bank Digital Currency. The software engineer engages directly with management, other developers on the team, development operations teams, and vendors to ensure the Federal Reserve is well-positioned to design, develop, and implement technology to support a CBDC as may be required by the Board of Governors.
A successful Lead Application developer will be able to work independently, assisting with the overall maturity of the software development lifecycle. Ultimately, a top-notch software engineer will deliver software that is built to comply with security and quality standards and is completed on time.
If you are exceptionally motivated and passionate about the work you do, then we welcome you to join us.
We empower our people to balance their life and work responsibilities. That’s why we offer a flexible hybrid work model that allows you to collaborate with office colleagues on some days, and work from home on others. In practice, this means that we are in the office 2-3 days per week on average but keep these days flexible and recognize that unforeseen events may require more time to work from home in certain weeks.
- Help develop novel systems related to Central Bank Digital Currency.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing systems and workflows for performance, scale, speed and accuracy.
- Proactively apply and evolve best practices related to the state-of-the-art Central Bank Digital Currency technology.
- Apply modern development standards and principals, security standards, usability design standards as appropriate.
- Provide direction, training, and support for platform/product operations.
- Identify, communicate, and mitigate risks, assumptions, issues, and decisions throughout full lifecycle.
- Using critical thinking, consider and compare various options based on feasibility and impact, propose measurable plans and roadmaps that balance tactical and strategic needs.
- Work in close partnership with cross-functional teams and management.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Computer science, Management information systems or comparable technical discipline, or an equivalent experience.
- Experience designing and maintaining digital payments, cryptocurrencies and / or Central Bank Digital Currencies.
- Hands-on programming experience.
- Knowledge of an experience with distributed systems design, cryptographic protocols such as zero knowledge proofs, consensus algorithms, and security.
- Comfort with cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams.
- Strong grasp of the fundamentals of money, banking, payments, finance and related concepts.
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills.
- High level of self-motivation and initiative; strong team player.
- Capability or potential to balance longer-term objectives and shorter-term deliverables efficiently, successfully, and on time.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties.
- Must be U.S Citizen.
Base Salary Range: Min: $134,900 – Mid: $175,100 – Max: $215,400 (Location: San Francisco)
Final salary and offer will be determined by the applicant’s background, experience, skills, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we offer a wonderful benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Pretax Flexible Spending Account, Paid Family Leave Care, Backup Child Care Program, Pretax Day Care Flexible Spending Account, Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Pet Insurance, Matching 401(k), and an unheard-of Retirement / Pension.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or qualify for an accommodation from the Bank’s vaccination policy; the Bank will provide accommodations as required by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated due to medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
At the SF Fed, we believe in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the communities we serve. The SF Fed is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#cbdc #digitalassets #fintech #crypto #innovation
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)
First (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.