The Log Rolling Instructor will be responsible for planning and teaching log rolling classes at the Wisconsin & Upper Michigan Division Salvation Army Kroc Center.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
SUMMARY/PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Log Rolling Instructor will be responsible for planning and teaching log rolling classes at The Salvation Army Kroc Center.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this position. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description.
- Instruct assigned classes according to guidelines and skill level.
- Adapt teaching approaches to the age, experience level, and ability of participants so that they meet course objectives.
- Prepare progressive lesson plans which will enhance the experience of program participants.
- Evaluate student learning, and record progress.
- Provide regular and timely evaluation feedback to students and parents (if applicable).
- Assist Aquatics Manager and Coordinator with planning and execution of Log Rolling tournaments and other special events.
- Complete records and reports in a timely manner and return them to the Aquatics Manager and/or Aquatics Coordinator.
- Educate patrons and enforce all pool rules.
- Participate in designated staff training and professional development courses, including regular in-service training sessions.
- Ensure the attractive appearance, function and general upkeep of the aquatics facilities including equipment and furnishings.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school degree or equivalent preferred
- 1 year of related work experience preferred
- OR –
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS: American Red Cross Adult/Child/Infant CPR/AED/First Aid (or equivalent) is required within 60 days of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be physically active in an aquatics environment; stand; walk; sit; swim; tread water; demonstrate proper form and technique for a variety of log rolling skills; physically support children as they learn appropriate log rolling techniques; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and physically roll a heavy log from the pool deck into the water either alone or with assistance from teammates. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The primary duties of this job take place in a busy public Aquatics Center. The noise level will be high. Temperatures will be above normal room temperature in a high-humidity environment. This position will have exposure to chemicals and fumes typically found in a pool environment, as well as exposure to bodily fluids and other potentially infectious materials.
For other duties of this job, such as outdoor special events and community center activities, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment at these events is usually moderate to loud.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.