We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
The Major Gifts Officer, Qualification will be part of a national development team responsible for generating over $300 million in annual major gifts, with plans to drastically increase that amount in the coming years. S/he will be responsible for managing a portfolio of around 150 donors and prospects nationally, with a particular focus on donor qualification. Working closely with senior professionals in the national development department and program staff, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individuals in support of Environmental Defense Fund’s national and international agenda.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Senior Director of Major Gifts.
- Qualify a portfolio of donors who already have some relationship with EDF (i.e. through membership) and assess whether they should be managed in Major Gift portfolios. Develop and execute a strategic plan for doing this qualification work efficiently and quickly, with an emphasis on donors who can make future five and six figure gifts.
- Design and implement overall engagement and fundraising strategies as part of the national development team, in order to continue the exponential growth of revenue coming from individual gifts.
- Meet one-on-one with prospects/donors and coordinate program staff and volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts prospects. Staff meetings and appropriately brief program staff for meetings.
- Effectively represent and articulate the work of EDF, presenting a compelling case for support of the organization.
- Stay abreast of changes and innovations in federal and state tax laws that may be relevant to major gifts prospects.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of proposals and reports for potential donors, working closely with the donor communications department to ensure there are compelling, visionary program ideas to present to donors and prospects.
- Assist in setting and meeting annual income goals for major gifts prospects in portfolio.
- Assist other development officers on special projects or efforts that contribute to the organization’s larger regional and national development goals.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser.
- Well-honed skills in donor qualification and cultivation strategies.
- At least six years of professional experience in nonprofit fundraising.
- A commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission and values.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; a high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances.
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent writing ability and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases.
- Creativity, energy, confidence, and integrity. High level of discretion and respect for donor privacy.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work well as part of team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
- Willingness to travel out of state.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 92,000 – 101,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.