The duties of the ADVANCED STAFF TECHNOLOGIST (Medical Technologist) in P&LMS include but are not limited to:
- An Advanced Staff Technologist at the GS-10 level carries out all of the testing responsibilities of the GS-9 Medical Technologist but has higher levels of professional responsibilities and expertise. Technologists at this level generally have professional oversight responsibilities and may have responsibility for a specific large scale automated analytical instrument system; a specific area of laboratory functions, such as employee competency records, supply functions, quality control review, new method development, or employee or student training; or provide professional and technical advice to other technicians and technologists on evening or night shifts. The duties that exceed full performance level will make up at least 25% of on duty time.
- Serves as an expert providing authoritative advice and consultation for more difficult, complex, or unique tests requiring special knowledge.
- Assists the supervisor in technical phases of the organizational level on various aspects of the specialized testing including appropriateness that takes into consideration clinical context.
- Facilitates team or unit processes by working in collaboration with team members to ensure that tasks, priorities, goals are coordinated with management.
- Modifies or adapts new methods or techniques to improve or expand services
- Develops protocols for performance of tests and evaluation of results.
- Ensures that laboratory tests and procedures are consistent with accrediting agencies standards and requirements.
- Recognizes methodology limitations such as linearity, interference, sensitivity, and specificity and considers these when drawing conclusions about the validity of testing results.
- Is responsible for monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
- Performs validation/method verification studies for new systems.
- Consults with healthcare providers on logical protocol to follow in attempting to confirm the diagnosis or risk assessment of a patient.
- Provides advisory services to technicians, technologists, and other specialists.
- Assures corrective action is initiated when test performance deviates from established.
- Works in conjunction with department leadership to eliminate waste and variation while increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of laboratory and hospital operations. Assists in identification and selection of methods that will provide standardized work and assure the proper application of standards set by accrediting bodies that include CAP, VHA, CLIA, and JC. The employee will develop, select, and practice techniques that provide for efficient and effective processes as directed. Works within the laboratory sections to assure P&LMS performance measures are met. Incumbent will proactively engage in accomplishing successful facility/service measures (e.g. STAT turnaround times, provider and patient satisfaction surveys, critical values etc.).
- Ensures instrumentation, reagents, supplies, instruments and the laboratory environment are maintained at the appropriate temperature, humidity, and atmosphere as applicable and appropriate. Knows how to address alerts and document out-of-range parameters using the facility’s temperature monitoring computer program. Understands the laboratory’s contingency plan and the need to inform the supervisor or designee of any issues.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday: 8:00am to 4:30pm with rotating weekends and holidays
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
EDRP Authorized: Yes
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) – See “Additional Information” below for details.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Candidates must currently possess the appropriate certification as a MT, MLS, or CLS given by the ASCP-BOC, iASCP-BOR, or AMT.
- Basic Education and/or Experience requirements:
- (1) A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in medical laboratory science, medical technology, clinical laboratory science or in a related science (e.g., laboratory sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, immunology, etc.). AND completion of a medical technology clinical practice program. Clinical practice programs completed after 1974 must have been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, formerly CAHEA), or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). The professional curriculum may have consisted of a post-baccalaureate certificate program or be integrated into a four year program of study that culminated in a baccalaureate degree. OR,
- (2) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics, AND two years of post-certification clinical laboratory experience (e.g., blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, clinical microscopy, etc.) within the last ten years as a certified Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (iASCP-BOR) or American Medical Technologists (AMT). This experience must include performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory. OR,
- (3) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/ university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics, AND five years of clinical laboratory experience within the last ten years performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory.
May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria).
GRADE DETERMINATIONS: The following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates. –
GS-10 Advanced Staff Technologist:
- Experience: Must have 1 year of creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
- Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in applying a wide range of concepts, principles and methodology of the field to perform advanced techniques.
- Ability to modify or adapt established methods, procedures or techniques to resolve difficult or complex problems.
- Knowledge of the application of laboratory regulatory requirements.
- Ability to provide or coordinate staff development and training.
Assignments. MTs at this level generally have a higher level of professional oversight responsibilities and may have responsibility for a specific large-scale automated analytical instrument system; a specific area of laboratory functions, such as employee competency records, supply functions, laboratory safety, quality control review, new method development or employee or student training; or provide professional and technical advice to other technicians and technologists on alternate tours of duty. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher-level duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
References: VA Handbook 5005 G24
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-10.
Physical Requirements: Work is sedentary but also demands standing, walking, bending, twisting, and carrying light items
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. Selected applicants may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience or military service experience. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Therefore, to the extent a VA job announcement includes language requiring applicants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Executive Order 14043, that requirement does not currently apply to this Job Announcement. VA may request information regarding your vaccination status, if selected, for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Help A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
VA NY Harbor Healthcare System
423 East 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010