VA Careers – Physical Therapy: https://youtube.com/embed/Gi2hoFqIoqY
The VA Boston Healthcare System is seeking a Full Time Physical Therapist Clinical Specialist for the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service. This position will primarily be assigned to West Roxbury Campus inpatient physical therapy, including care of individuals with conditions related to general medicine, orthopedics, cardiac and pulmonary, neurologic, integumentary, oncologic, and other conditions based on hospital census. Patient care coverage at other VA Boston Campuses could be required on an as needed basis. This position reports to the Service Line Care Director. The Physical Therapist will be independent with managing a caseload of individuals with various conditions. The therapist will be expected to have 3 years of recent experience treating adult/older adult patients, strong consideration for candidates with experience with in cardiopulmonary, orthopedics, and/or acute care, both simple and complex. The duties include but are not limited to: perform independent patient evaluations using appropriate standardized tests; independently develop, implement, and modify physical therapy treatment programs; recognize contraindications and appropriateness of treatment prescribed by referring provider; provide timely and accurate written documentation of patient status, progress with therapy, therapy plan, and patient response to treatment in accordance with policy; interact professionally and courteously with all VA staff, patients, and patients’ families/caregivers, and managing caseload at a productive standard. This position also will be a mentor for the VA Boston PT Residency Program(s). A more detailed position description is available in Human Resources Management Service.
- This position is NAGE Bargaining Unit positions
- These positions are covered by locality-based comparability pay.
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
- Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Current employees must submit copies of their most recent SF-50, (Notice of Personnel Action). The SF-50 must identify the position title, series, grade, step, tenure and type of service (competitive or Excepted). In some cases, more than one SF-50 may be required to show a higher grade previously held. Do not submit an award SF-50.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) – See “Additional Information” below for details.
United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education and Experience: The individual must meet at least one of the requirements below:
- (1) Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy AND five (5) years of progressively independent experience as a physical therapist.
- (2) Master’s degree in Physical Therapy AND two (2) years of progressively independent experience as a physical therapist.
- (3) Doctorate degree in physical therapy.
Licensure: Individuals hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice physical therapy in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency: Physical Therapists appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Individual has evidence of a minimum of 2,000 hours of clinical practice directly in a related specialty area. This time must be between the past two and five years; or. Board Certification in the specialty area recognized by the ABPTS; or Completion of a fellowship; or an additional advanced degree in a related field. Strong leadership and communication/teaching skills.
- Preference for cardiopulmonary, orthopedic and/or acute care expertise.
- Leadership skills and growth mindset with a commitment to supporting the team, department, and system.
- High level of autonomy in advanced clinical decision making and system/process improvement.
Grade Determinations: In addition to meeting the basic requirements, one year of progressively complex experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level and one of the following:
- Evidence of a minimum of 2,000 hours of clinical practice directly in the specialty area. This time must be between the past two and five years; OR
- Board Certification in the specialty area recognized by the ABPTS; OR
- Completion of a fellowship program; OR
- An additional advanced degree in a related field.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate all of the following KSAs:
- Advanced knowledge and expert skill in a range of specialized interventions and treatment modalities used in a specialized treatment area of physical therapy.
- Ability to serve as a consultant and subject matter expert for health care providers regarding the delivery of care within a specialized content area of physical therapy.
- Ability to teach and mentor medical center staff in a specialized content area of physical therapy.
- Ability to guide the work of a multi-disciplinary team in a specialized content area of physical therapy.
- Advanced knowledge and expert skill to perform and interpret specialized procedures and tests in evaluating the treatment outcomes in the assigned specialty content area.
Assignment: For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher-level duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and variety. Clinical Specialists spend at least 25% or greater of their time working with specialized population(s) within their department. Physical therapists at this level perform assignments in specialty areas such as geriatrics, neurology, cardiopulmonary, orthopedics, spinal cord injury, amputee, wound care, chronic pain, electromyography, women’s health or pelvic health, polytrauma, brain injury, lymphedema, vestibular, assistive technology, seating and mobility. The individual is assigned responsibility for serving as the subject matter expert in the content specialty area and as a consultant to physical therapy and other medical center staff in evaluating and treating patients in the specialty area. Clinical Specialists have advanced knowledge and demonstrate expert clinical practice skills in providing assessment and treatment interventions across the continuum of care. He/she utilizes advanced knowledge and expertise to modify treatment plans and to identify therapeutic activity interventions based on the changing needs, goals and performance of patients. Clinical Specialists have advanced training in specialized technology related to their area of practice. He/she establishes and maintains contact with other health care providers involved in patient care via written, telephone, and personal communication on a regular basis. He/she exercises expert professional judgment to establish appropriate discharge planning recommendations to ensure safe discharge from inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation programs. If the medical center has a PT residency program, the clinical specialist may be on faculty for the program.
References: http://vaww.va.gov/OHRM/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The work involves standing, stooping, moderate to heavy lifting, sitting, pulling, assisting patients in transferring from various devices (bed, wheelchair, floor, motorized vehicles, mats etc.). Additionally, moving patient and supplies and pushing patient in their manual or motorized wheelchair’s. Additionally, the incumbent is required to work at a computer workstation to complete his/her documentation for clinical patient care or administrative needs. Occasionally, the incumbent may need to drive a government vehicle. Incumbent will be required to travel to all campuses of VA BHS.
Résumé Reminder:Your résumé must include the following information each job listed:
- Job title
- Duties (be as detailed as possible)
- Month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Please be aware that your answers will be verified against information provided on your résumé. Be sure that your résumé clearly supports your responses to all of the questions by addressing your work experience in detail.
Recommended: Even though we do not require a specific résumé format, your résumé must be clear so that we are able to fully evaluate your qualifications. To ensure you receive appropriate consideration, please list the duties you performed under each individual job title. If we are unable to match your experiences with the positions held, you may lose consideration for this vacancy.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Help A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
VA Boston Healthcare System
940 Belmont Street
Brockton, MA 02301