Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision.
- The Program Mentor must demonstrate a high level of commitment to student success as evidenced in goal setting, student outcomes, and student notes. Student success includes identifying urgent student need as displayed by Caseload tools as well as notes and documentation for each student, responding to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, and overall attention to urgent student need.
- Offers direct, comprehensive support, coaching, and guidance to a load of assigned students.
- Provides WGU and program level expertise to students and maintains that expertise through ongoing development activities.
- Fosters student learning through innovative and motivational coaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Maintains a consistent, student-friendly schedule with a selection of outside hours to accommodate various student needs.
- Monitors the progress of assigned students and offers proactive support and outreach to those students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in their academic progress.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
- Maintains knowledge within assigned college and program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Masters of Science in Nursing. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- 3+ years’ experience providing student support and instruction
- Demonstrated ability to work with at-risk learners.
- Experience in mentoring adult learners
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
- Terminal degree and all applicable licenses or certifications.
- Strong experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Well organized – conscientious and thorough with detail.
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Data entry, email, calendar, word processing, and database programs.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
Organizational or Student Impact:
- Accountable for decisions that impact individual students.
- Creates or facilitates learning experiences that support students ‘attainment of knowledge and skills.
- With specific guidance from senior faculty and program leaders, acts independently in executing teaching practice.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Works on diverse matters of limited complexity.
- This position receives general direction from their immediate supervisor or manager.
- Able to effectively utilize resources to address student concerns and inquiries.
- Supports student needs to help them achieve course or program outcomes at the individual student level.
- Individual follows university and department established policies and best practices.
Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with students as appropriate to support student questions and needs.
- This role communicates with fellow faculty members as appropriate within and outside of the department.
- Expected to provide feedback regarding discipline and practice leadership.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Considered a contributing and collegial team member.
- Individual adheres to learning and operational quality guidance and instructions.
- Supports initiatives within the area of specialty.
- Displays a positive attitude toward change and supports change management practices.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.