699 Eastern Bypass
Richmond, KY 40475 USA
The Public Safety Telecommunicator is a highly skilled team member, providing a vital link between emergency responders and the information they need to be effective and efficient in their daily operations. Often times called the “nerve center” of police operations they are the initial first responders, taking the call and dispatching emergency personnel. Due to the nature of 24-hour operations the applicant must be willing to work a flexible shift including rotating days off when warranted.
Must be currently certified as a Telecommunicator by the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council (KLEC) and be currently certified as a LINK/NCIC operator. Shall not have been convicted of a felony or other crimes pursuant to KRS 15.540. Must maintain any required licensure(s), certifications(s), or other credentials for the length of employment in this classification.
- Provides functional supervision and trains entry level telecommunicators and/or KSP apprentices on departmental policy and procedures for communication operations.
- Provides oral and written reports to supervisors on the progress of entry level telecommunicators and/or KSP apprentices.
- Performs duties of Public Safety Telecommunicator II serving as the lead communicator on a shift without a supervisor or manager present.
- Conducts LINK/NCIC validations and second party checks of active entries.
- Competes Communications and Training Officer program documentation and reporting for each trainee.
- Works with KSP apprenticeship coordinator to ensure compliance with program objectives.
- Strong work ethic
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Map reading
- Customer service
- Active listening
- Perform under pressure
- Solid judgement
- Computer literacy
- Ability to retain large volumes of information; recall and repeat specifics
If you are interested in a challenging yet rewarding career where you can make a positive difference in your local community we would love to review your application for Kentucky State Police Telecommunicator.