KSB has nearly 180 years of service whose mission is to provide comprehensive educational services to all Kentucky students who are blind and visually impaired, birth to 21. KSB prides itself on helping all Kentucky students who are blind and visually impaired to develop their talents, their skills and attitudes to become confident, competent and independent adults.
Currently KSB has an opening in the Health Services Section for an Interim Registered Nurse. As an Interim Registered Nurse, you will provide professional nursing services to patients at Kentucky School for the Blind and may supervise Licensed Practical Nurses/Licensed Practical Nurse Applicants/Registered Nurse Applicants or unlicensed assistive staff in the implementation of nursing policies and procedures.
This is an Interim position. An Interim position means a position established to address a one-time or recurring need of less than nine (9) months duration and exempt from the classified service under KRS 18A.115.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administer initial medical treatment of health issues of all children on campus (i.e. administers prescribed medications, promotes health maintenance, utilizes the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation in the provision of patient care, intervenes when emergency care is required.
- Collaborate with parents and staff to provide the health needs of students.
- Accounts for medications upon assuming and leaving duties, investigates and reports on unusual incidents involving student/patient care.
- Collaborate with contracted doctors and mental health professionals to provide communication for all student needs.
- Transport or delegate transportation of students to emergency room if necessary. Send appropriate documentation. Maintain inventory and order necessary supplies/medications as needed. Keep work area sanitized.
- Participate in and/or provide training as it applies to the position, the school and the department. Work within a team approach to ensure a safe campus environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position has a variable shift, e.g. 2nd shift 3:30 pm-11:45 pm and 3rd shift 11:30 pm-7:45 am, determined by the supervisor in order meet the needs of the school and will work either second or third shift. Shift differential pay is paid for second and third shift hours.
The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. KDE will only use E- Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that KDE has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at 999-897-7781 or https://www.e-verify.gov/.