Special Notice: This is a REPOST — Previous applicants are still being considered and do not need to re-apply for this position.
Do you have a passion to provide meaningful work in the community? Would you like to be part of an organization whose central mission is helping to protect, stabilize and strengthen the lives of children, families, and vulnerable adults? Then the South Carolina Department of Social Services has the right job opportunity for you.
- The Background Investigator provides prompt reviews and interpretation of SLED/FBI child care criminal history record information (CHRI) for county/regional/state office/child care staff and facility providers; reviews, researches, and evaluates state/federal criminal history background records by contacting Clerks of Court, Magistrate/Municipal Courts and local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to seek clarification and/or completion of criminal background checks; provides written notification of the results to requesting facilities.
- Searches the South Carolina Judicial Public Index by county for conviction data and additional criminal arrests/convictions under the laws related to the uniform traffic tickets that would preclude an individual from working with children; conducts National Sex Offender Registry (NSOR) checks via SLED LEMS:WEB for child care applicants.
- Enters information into OIG’s Issuetrak (electronic file) on all case actions from the time of initial action to closure; scans necessary documentation pertinent to each case file. Assists in maintaining OIG’s files and records.
- Acts as a liaison with inter-agency and intra-agency representatives to gather and disperse information regarding criminal history research. Stays abreast of state/federal policies and procedures and state/federal laws and regulations associated with childcare and the SLED/CJIS FBI National Crime Information Center (NCIC) System. Interprets and applies these polices, procedures, and statutes in the processing and dissemination of CHRI. Keeps SLED CJIS NCIC certification current by biennial training and testing.
- Will be required to perform Red Cross shelter/emergency response duties as directed.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
A Bachelor’s Degree and two (2) years of professional experience in social service programs, correctional, education, business administration, general administrative management or relevant program experience.
A Master’s Degree and one (1) years of professional experience in social service programs, correctional, education, business administration, general administrative management, or relevant program experience.
This application for employment with the SC Department of Social Services must be completed in its entirety. A resume may be included; but shall not be substituted in lieu of the completion of this application in part or in whole. “See Resume” is not acceptable information for the completion of any part of the requirements of this application. If such is submitted, this employment application will be considered incomplete and may not be forwarded as eligible for consideration to hiring managers.
Must have valid driver’s license. Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing), type, and work in a high-paced environment Employee may be required to perform job-related duties (teleworking) from home or another location on a full or part-time basis thus reducing or eliminating commute time.
If you certify, by completion and submission of this application, that you possess educational credentials that qualify you for the available DSS positions, you will be required to provide a certified official transcript, if you are selected for job offer.
Division: Office of Inspector General / Richland County