Job Description and Duties
This is a reposting. If you previously submitted an application for this position, you do not need to reapply.
Under direction from the Associate Director, and the Director of the Special Education Division (SED), and working cooperatively with program Units and supervisors throughout the Department, the Research Program Specialist II performs research and statistical activities and synthesizes complicated data from a variety of disciplines. The position requires comprehension of advanced research methodology and statistical procedures.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
This position is headquartered in Sacramento, and may be eligible for a hybrid telework schedule for eligible applicants residing in California. A hybrid telework schedule includes working remotely and physically reporting to the office.
You will find the Minimum Requirements in the Class Specification.
- RESEARCH DATA SPECIALIST II
- Job Application Package Checklist
- Duty Statement
Job Code #: JC-335793
Position #(s): 174-663-5758-XXX
Working Title: PC 3574
Classification: RESEARCH DATA SPECIALIST II
$6,658.00 – $8,334.00 A
# of Positions: 1
Work Location: Sacramento County
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
Facility: Special Education Division
The California Department of Education (CDE) oversees the state’s diverse and dynamic public school system, which is responsible for the education of more than six million children and young adults in more than 10,000 schools with 295,000 teachers. The CDE and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction are responsible for enforcing education law and regulations; and for continuing to reform and improve public elementary school programs, secondary school programs, adult education, some preschool programs, and child care programs. The CDE’s mission is to provide a world-class education for all students, from early childhood to adulthood. The CDE serves our state by innovating and collaborating with educators, schools, parents, and community partners, preparing students to live, work, and thrive in a highly connected world.
Interested individuals MUST submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) with their application. Resumes, letters, and other materials do not take the place of the SOQ. The SOQ should have a title of “Statement of Qualifications, Your Name,” be no more than 3 pages, no smaller than 12-point font, and address the following:
1. In one paragraph, based upon the job announcement please describe your work experience relating to research and statistical activities and why you feel you’re qualified for the position.
2. In one paragraph, describe your experience with special education and writing complex conclusions and reports to inquiries about special education.
3. In two paragraphs, please discuss your experience with oral communication related to providing technical expertise to the public for students with disabilities through data outcomes, data quality, and data analysis.
How To Apply
Complete Application Packages (including your Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents) must be submitted to apply for this Job Posting. Application Packages may be submitted electronically through your CalCareer Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. When submitting your application in hard copy, a completed copy of the Application Package listing must be included. If you choose to not apply electronically, a hard copy application package may be submitted through an alternative method listed below:
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
Department of Education
Attn: C&P PC 3574/JC-335793
1430 N Street, Ste. 1802
Sacramento, CA 95814
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
Department of Education
Attn: C&P PC 3574/JC-335793
1430 N Street (Lobby Drop-Off Box)
Sacramento, CA 95814
08:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically), or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Resume is optional. It may be included, but is not required.
- Statement of Qualifications –
- A STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS IS REQUIRED. Please see the Special Requirements section for instructions. Applications without the SOQ will not be considered.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
In addition to evaluating each candidate’s relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Good organizational skills
• SAS and SQL knowledge and experience
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including strong presentation skills
• Ability to work effectively with all levels of technical staff and management
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work effectively on multiple projects at the same time
• Strong understanding of data visualization and data analytics
Benefit information can be found on the CalHR website and the CalPERS website.
The Hiring Unit Contact is available to answer questions regarding the position or application process.
Hiring Unit Contact:
Please direct requests for Reasonable Accommodations to the interview scheduler at the time the interview is being scheduled. You may direct any additional questions regarding Reasonable Accommodations or Equal Employment Opportunity for this position(s) to the Department’s EEO Office.
Randi Thompson, EEO Officer
California Relay Service: 1-800-735-2929 (TTY), 1-800-735-2922 (Voice) TTY is a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf, and is reachable only from phones equipped with a TTY Device.
Additional Application Information
- How to Apply for state jobs: https://calcareers.ca.gov/CalHRPublic/Landing/Jobs/Steps.aspx
- Submitting an electronic application through your CalCareers Account is highly recommended.
- Important: Make sure your contact information, i.e., address, phone number(s), etc., is current in your CalCareers Account.
- DO NOT include ANY confidential information on any documents you submit for a job vacancy, such as your State Application, resume, or educational transcripts. Confidential information that should be excluded or removed from these documents includes, but is not limited to, your Social Security Number (SSN), birthdate, age, student identification number, driver license (unless required), examination results, LEAP status, and marital status.
- Incomplete or late application packages will NOT be considered.
- In order for experience to be considered, applications must be completed fully, including the “From” and “To” employment dates, “Hours Per Week”, employer contact information, and “Duties Performed” fields for all jobs listed in the “Employment History” (Resumes do not take the place of these fields on the STD. 678).
- If you choose to not submit electronically and are mailing or dropping off your hard copy State Application (STD. 678), please use the revised 12/2021 version.
- If you are using education to meet the minimum qualifications, please include a copy of your degree or unofficial transcripts for verification. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by an academic credential evaluation.