Laboratory Technician IV position overseeing all culture room for WFIRM. Main duties require maintaining and training on core equipment, ordering and maintaining adequate inventories of necessary supplies, and contribute to the mission of WFIRM. Under general supervision, perform multi-disciplinary tasks that require the use of independent judgment in the planning, modification, and performance of research laboratory procedures. Provide direction and guidance for all levels researcher. Additionally, day to day laboratory management duties are required.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- University graduation with a major in the biological and/or physical sciences and two years of related clinical/research experience applicable for the position to be filled. -OR-
- Master’s degree in biology or related physical science.
- Several years experience working in lab environment.
- Familiarity with cell and tissue culture activities as well as general lab equipment.
- Requires self-motivation, discipline, organizational skills and dedication to work.
- Mechanical aptitude is a plus.
- Confer with principal investigators and assist in the support requirements for their research.
- Create SOP and performs UV assay to insure functionality
- Supervise, train, and review the work of visiting scientists, students and lower level technicians engaged in laboratory work.
- Operate complex specialized laboratory instruments; instruct other personnel in the use and operations of these instruments.
- Requisition and maintain inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment as needed for laboratory operations.
- Maintain freezers, safety equipment, hazardous material tickets, perform minor repairs and maintenance.
- Implement sampling program and SOP’s to minimize contamination in culture rooms.
- Establish and conduct training program for Cell and Tissue Culture.
- Oversee iLab scheduling for Cell and Tissue Culture.
- Pack and process carcasses weekly for WFIRM.
- Maintain calibration for 200+ pipettors.
- Assist with autoclaves, manning the Service Center and charging Liquid Nitrogen dewers.
- Point person for engineering and housekeeping as needed.
- Research laboratory environment
- Exposure to chemicals
- Exposure to glass and other breakable objects
- Possible exposure to animals
- Possible exposure to bloodborne pathogens
- May be required to work hours beyond typical 8 a.m.-5 p.m. schedule and/or evenings and weekends as needed