About The Kennedy Center
“I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.” – President John F. Kennedy
The Kennedy Center is the nation’s cultural center and living memorial to President John F. Kennedy. Located on the banks of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., the Center presents performances across all genres, and is also home to artistic affiliates Washington National Opera and National Symphony Orchestra.
At the Kennedy Center, we strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work. We are able to advance our mission because of our committed and passionate employees. We are fortunate to be able to leverage their diverse perspectives, life experiences and skills to inform how our workplace can be a safe, transparent, and replenishing community. The Kennedy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Mission Statement: As the nation’s performing arts center, and a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy, we are a leader for the arts across America and around the world, reaching and connecting with artists, inspiring and educating communities. We welcome all to create, experience, learn about, and engage with the arts.
Why Join Us
We offer a comprehensive range of benefits to all employees including:
- Staff offers for discount tickets
- We like to have fun! Check out the Kennedy Center National Dance Day 2022 staff video!
Pay: $16.10 per hour
The Kennedy Center Retail Operations includes two stores, concessions, trunk shows, pop-up satellite shops, off-site events, and festivals. As a sales associate, you will use your knowledge of merchandise, performances and the Kennedy Center to provide best-in-class customer service, creating a memorable experience for guests and exceeding their expectations.
- Tuesday – Friday 4:30 pm – 11:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday 11:30 am – 10:30 pm
- Tuesday – Friday 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Saturday & Sunday 10:30 am – 3:30 pm and 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional customer service and engage with and sell to customers using knowledge of products and performances and your prior retail and cash handling experience.
- Maintain an area of inventory responsibility, becoming knowledgeable about products in your area, sharing knowledge with other staff for the purpose of selling more products and answering customer’s product questions.
- Replenish merchandise and maintain displays using plan-o-grams
- Perform daily housekeeping duties including dusting, glass cleaning, filling and maintaining displays and back-stock, and maintaining general store, cash wrap and back-stock cleanliness and organization.
- Must have the availability to commit to shifts within the hours specified above
- High school education or equivalent required
- Must have previous retail and cash handling experience or equivalent as determined by management
- Proficiency using POS systems and high-degree of comfort with technology and ability to quickly learn new systems (Apple iOS, Square, electronic timekeeping, etc.)
- Ability to work varied shifts, including evenings, weekends and holidays in coordination with performance times and to meet business needs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time (5 hours), to walk frequent short distances, to climb stairs, to lift up to 20 pounds, and to push carts of merchandise.