ACCEL SCHOOLS is seeking experienced and caring SCHOOL COUNSELORS AT NORTHSIDE PREPARATORY ACADEMY in CINCINNATI, OH for our upcoming 2022-2023 school year! The School Counselor will promote student success, provide preventive services, and respond to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program that addresses academic and personal/social development for all students.
With a network of 50 charter schools and growing, ACCEL Schools employs a diverse staff of passionate administrators and educators who value research-based practices and a desire to grow as professionals. We work tirelessly to raise student achievement, regardless of historical barriers, while committed to participating in ongoing professional development, job embedded instructional coaching, and embracing a growth mindset.
The SCHOOL COUNSELOR will provide the school community, parents, students and teachers with an exemplary, ongoing professional student-counseling program. To provide services which contribute and respond to the individual needs of students and their parents by: arranging for initial assessments; participating on IEP team as appropriate; conducting or overseeing evaluations; developing and refining the behavior management system; monitoring interventions; serve as liaison with school staff and outside resources; and maintaining consistency and continuity in the school’s response procedures. STRONG SOCIAL/EMOTIONAL OR TRAUMA INFORMED CARE BACKGROUND PREFERRED.
- Share a commitment to the success of the mission, goals, and objectives of the charter school.
- Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of students and own personal performance.
- Offer resources, professional expertise and coaching that supports student achievement of school’s academic standards.
- Use multiple sources of data collection to analyze barriers to student achievement and to access, identify and apply to the improvement of the behavior management program.
- Offer opportunities for the community to be involved in student and school success.
- Assume responsibility for coordinating, monitoring and reporting student interventions.
- Serve as resource specialist for teachers and parents regarding any counseling needs.
- Work with students, parents and staff in a compassionate and productive manner.
- Assist teachers in effective planning, organization and implementation of strategies for optimum behavior management.
- Serve as liaison to school staff and outside resources; maintain consistency and continuity in the school’s response procedures.
- Plan for initial student assessment and participate on the IEP team as appropriate.
- Conduct or oversee student evaluations.
- Guide the teacher learning process in implementing personal learning plans of students as a means to effective classroom management.
- Identify and develop creative intervention methods and procedures to adapt effectively to unusual situations.
- Demonstrate exceptional counseling techniques including documentation and student tracking.
- Work cooperatively with parents and generate parents’ confidence in the teacher and the school community at large.
- Provide a school culture based on the principles of firm, fair, and consistent practices, respect for individual students, and development of responsible citizenship.
- Conduct one-self according to professional, ethical principles.
- Be familiar with and support school administration in the effective implementation of the school’s Emergency Response Plan.
- Adhere to all procedures and policies as outlined in the Employee Manual.
- Graduate degree in Counseling, Social Work or related field.
- Strong social/emotional or trauma informed care background preferred
- Valid State of Ohio certification and demonstrated competence as a school based social services counselor.
- Must demonstrate mastery of all areas of counseling responsibility and be computer literate.
- Must demonstrate a strong understanding of local, regional, State and Federal resources that support families, students and school institutions.
- Successful completion of federal and state criminal background checks
- Ability to work well under pressure as well as effectively prioritize and execute tasks to meet deadlines consistently
- Ability to use discretion in managing confidential information
- High quality written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in an urban and/or school turnaround setting is a plus
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is our policy to abide by all federal, state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination based solely on a person’s race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status, veteran status (including protected veterans), marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other protected status except where a reasonable, bonafide occupational qualification exists.