As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college’s mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students’ diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Specialist, Student Support (Strategic Programs)
To plan, organize, and implement strategic student programs for student success encompassing equity, access, persistence, and engagement.
1. Supports strategic student program initiatives and projects designed to promote student success district-wide and in the ACCelerators.
2. Serves as first contact with students and district and community partners in assigned ACCelerator location. Meets and greets students, provides information about programs and events, promotes and assists student involvement in programs and activities.
3. Refers students to appropriate resources (i.e., tutoring, advising, counseling, Student Life, Library Services, etc.).
4. Assists with student outreach and engagement efforts as assigned.
Contacts students by phone, text and email in support of outreach and retention efforts. Tracks and maintains student contact logs.
5. Participates in district-wide and campus events supporting student enrollment, registration, and college resource awareness.
6. Creates, coordinates, and delivers workshops, presentations, and specialized materials aimed at informing students about the ACCelerators, ACC student resources, and services for student success.
7. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other Austin Community College (ACC) departments, faculty, staff, students, visitors, and campus groups.
8. Updates and maintains appropriate records and databases, follow-up systems for prospective, current, and former students. Works to encourage student retention and persistence.
9. Position may require working remotely, in a virtual environment, or/at a campus-based location.
10. May travel within the ACC serving district for meetings, events, training, and campus coverage as needed.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills
- Positive Customer Service techniques and practices
- Office procedures and practices
- Planning and organizing events
- Presentation principles
- Scholarship and stipend policies and practices
- Student engagement and retention techniques
- Working collaboratively, as well as independently.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communication skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- Writing professional level correspondence.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Two years related work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A criminal background check may be conducted if this position requires public school visitations.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and reliable transportation may be required if position will involve travel between ACC campuses.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
November 28, 2022