Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
As part of the Federal Reserve’s mission to promote accessible, safe, and efficient systems to facilitate dollar transactions, the Federal Reserve System seeks a senior technologist to perform central bank digital currency research and development. Given the dollar’s important role, Federal Reserve System seeks to further understand the cost and benefits of the potential technologies for central bank digital currencies (CBDC), and how the system better understand this emerging field.
This position is a unique opportunity to be part of a team on the leading edge of technology research and development in central bank digital currency. You’ll join a world-class team in a dynamic environment that has the feel of a start-up. As a senior software architect, you will design and implement systems critical to this research.
The Senior Application Architect engages directly with management, other developers on the team, development operations teams, and vendors to ensure that the Federal Reserve is well-positioned to design, develop, and implement technology to support a CBDC as may be required by the Board of Governors.
If you are exceptionally motivated and passionate about the work you do, then we welcome you to join us.
We empower our people to balance their life and work responsibilities. That’s why we offer a flexible hybrid work model that allows you to collaborate with office colleagues on some days, and work from home on others. In practice, this means that we are in the office 2-3 days per week on average but keep these days flexible and recognize that unforeseen events may require more time to work from home in certain weeks.
- Architect and oversee the architectural design of novel systems and directing the efforts of development teams, including internal and external team members.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing systems and workflows for performance, scale, speed, and accuracy.
- Provide engineering leadership and oversight to one or more engineering teams.
- Proactively apply and evolve best practices related to the state-of-the-art Central Bank Digital Currency technology.
- Apply modern development standards and principals, security standards, usability design standards as appropriate
- Provide direction, training, and support for platform/product operations
- Identify, communicate, and mitigate risks, assumptions, issues, and decisions throughout full lifecycle
- Using critical thinking, consider and compare various options based on feasibility and impact, propose measurable plans and roadmaps that balance tactical and strategic needs.
- Mentor software engineers to allow for skill/knowledge development through advice, coaching, and training opportunities.
- Work in close partnership with cross-functional teams and management.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in computer science, management information systems or comparable technical discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in designing and maintaining digital payments, cryptocurrencies and / or Central Bank Digital Currencies.
- Hands-on programming experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with distributed systems design, cryptographic protocols such as zero knowledge proofs, consensus algorithms and security.
- Proven ability to drive the frontier of crypto protocol design and throughput optimization.
- Comfort leading cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams.
- Strong grasp of the fundamentals of money, banking, payments, finance, and related concepts.
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills.
- High level of self-motivation and initiative; strong team player.
- Capability or potential to balance longer-term objectives and shorter-term deliverables efficiently, successfully, and on time.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others.
- Must be a U.S Citizen
Base Salary Range: Min: $134,900 – Mid: $175,100 – Max: $215,400 (Location: San Francisco)
Final salary and offer will be determined by the applicant’s background, experience, skills, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
We offer a wonderful benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account, Backup Child Care Program, Pretax Day Care Flexible Spending Account, Vacation Days, Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Pet Insurance, Matching 401(k), and a Retirement / Pension
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or qualify for an accommodation from the Bank’s vaccination policy; the Bank will provide accommodations as required by law for individuals unable to be vaccinated due to medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
At the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, we believe in the diversity of our people, ideas, and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive culture that is representative of the communities we serve.
#cbdc #digitalassets #fintech #crypto #innovation
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)
First (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.