The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey offers paid internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world. Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication, and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
Specific Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To
The Aviation department is looking for a summer intern to join their JFK Airport Operations Center team.
- Operational Support: The intern will assist the Assistant AOC Manager (Staff role) in revising and enhancing policies and procedures to adjust to changing situations at the airport. This will include working with the AOC team to identify problems, brainstorm solutions, formally draft those solutions in memos and SOPs, and pushing the policies through to finalization.
- Special Event Planning: The intern will work with the AOC team in organizing special events, facilitating tours of the AOC, and assist with VIP visits to the facility.
- Meeting Facilitation: The intern will work with multiple departments within JFK AOC to arrange, record, and follow up on various ad hoc meetings and events.
About The JFK Airport Operations Center (AOC)
The John F. Kennedy International (JFK) Airport, Airport Operations Center (AOC) serves as a dedicated facility providing operational situational awareness, collaborative decision making, management, and communications for the continuous, effective, and timely response to issues and/or events that effect the airport, all stakeholders, and our traveling public. The AOC coordinates multiple resources and focuses on the entire airport impact and restoration of operations caused by a single, or multiple incidents.
- Candidates must be students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program returning to their program during the Fall 2023 semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven, and have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of majors/minors.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research, and applicable technical skills.
- Organization and attention to detail.
- Flexibility, as the work stream will be constantly interrupted by competing priorities.
- Ability to effectively utilize resources, organize activities, manage time, and multitask to achieve goals.
- Ability to effectively convey information both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to listen effectively.
- The duration is expected to be approximately 8-12 weeks, starting in the beginning of June 2023
- This internship will require work 5 days/week at 7.25 hours/day
- The format is expected to be fully in-person
- These details are subject to change
The application deadline is Monday, January 16 by 5:00 PM EST.
How To Apply
- Click “Apply Now”
- Follow the prompts
- Make sure you submit the following:
- A resume (please make sure to include your expected graduation date)
- A cover letter detailing why you want to work at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
The Selection Process
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted
- Interviews will likely start toward the end of January
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement and work experience, in addition to analytical and communication skills
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the “Apply Now” button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency’s network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.