The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey offers paid internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world. Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication, and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
Specific Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To
The Aviation department is looking for a summer intern to join their Properties and Commercial Development team in Transportation Strategies.
- Assisting with the roll out of the Black Car Portal, a website designed for use by hundreds of black car/livery cab permittees to provide monthly transactions and revenue reporting
- Assist with the deployment of a Virtual Taxi Queue digital solution at EWR and LGA that enables taxi drivers to join the airports’ taxi dispatch queues from their mobile phones
- Assist the Ground Transportation Senior Airport Permit Coordinator with For-Hire-Vehicle Report transaction analysis and monthly reconciliation
- Perform varied assignments to further support ground transportation initiatives, including research on best practices used in the management of for-hire vehicles at airports domestically and internationally
- Contributing to the Parking team’s Off-Airport Parking Task Force: a project focused on improving administration, and business analytics, and permit enforcement associated with off-airport parking permittees
About The Aviation Department
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey runs the busiest airport system in the United States, including three major commercial airports – John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International and LaGuardia airports. The Department also operates Teterboro Airport, a general aviation airport in New Jersey, and New York Stewart International Airport, a commercial airport in New York’s mid-Hudson Valley.
- Candidates must be students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program returning to their program during the Fall 2023 semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven, and have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of majors/minors.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research, and applicable technical skills.
- Strong interest in airport commercial management, ground transportation and parking, and business process improvement
- Capable of managing projects efficiently, meeting deadlines, and reporting progress in a timely manner
- Excellent business writing and presentation skills
- Ability to build relationships with diverse sets of internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Port Authority staff and tenants)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with financial terminology and basic accounting principles
- The duration is expected to be approximately 12 weeks, starting in the beginning of June 2023
- This internship will require work 5 days/week at 7.25 hours/day
- The format is expected to be hybrid, partially in-person and partially virtual
- These details are subject to change
The application deadline is Monday, January 16 by 5:00 PM EST.
How To Apply
- Click “Apply Now”
- Follow the prompts
- Make sure you submit the following:
- A resume (please make sure to include your expected graduation date)
- A cover letter detailing why you want to work at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
The Selection Process
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted
- Interviews will likely start toward the end of January
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement and work experience, in addition to analytical and communication skills
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the “Apply Now” button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency’s network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.