Job ID: 44349
For UCOP internal applicants, please login to the internal candidate gateway at: Jobs at UCOP
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. Learn more about the UC Office of the President
As a security first organization, Technology Delivery Services (TDS) is part of the Information Technology (IT) Department. The TDS teams include Information Security, Planning (architecture and PMO), Application Development, HR & Payroll Development, Infrastructure, and Client Services teams. We maintain an innovative, inclusive, and supportive work environment.
ApplyUC is the UC’s undergraduate admissions application for high school and transfer students. A successful candidate applies skills as a seasoned, experienced software professional with a full understanding of industry practices, community standards and relevant policies and procedures to medium-sized projects or portions of large projects with moderate scope and complexity. Tasks include analysis and design, writing requirements, designing related database tables, planning QA testing, and facilitating user acceptance testing (UAT). Duties will also include production support, running and monitoring batch processes, web services, and troubleshooting performance problems. A successful candidate must be creative, flexible and adaptable and have proven success in a similar project environment.
25% Data Analysis, System Documentation:
- Analyze data flows into, between, and out of current systems. Analyze back-end processes in current systems.
- Document the data structures, fields, event triggers, and timing of incoming and outgoing data.
- Document the business logic of back-end processes.
- Investigate new requirements for data flows and back-end processes.
- Create detailed technical specifications for functions of the system. This includes creating flowcharts, data definitions, XML schemas, use case diagrams, and test cases.
- Investigate bug reports, modify TSDs and code as necessary, and document all activity.
- Perform complex data analysis and test/debug complex software.
- Analyze the design and use of complex data sources.
- Apply professional and broadly defined data/information administration and data use concepts to manage and perform complex assignments.
- Independently analyze complex information requirements and document them using formal data definition techniques and naming standards.
- Perform complex data management or resource research and study for a variety of constituents.
- Identify, evaluate, and develop complex processes and procedures.
- Gather, analyze, prepare, and summarize business and user needs, document requirements, and revise existing system and process logic issues as necessary.
- Document intricate software and processes.
- Troubleshoot and resolve the most complex issues.
- Design and coordinate workflow of support requests, setting priorities and tracking resolution.
- Ensure compliance with and provides input to service level agreements.
25% Test Automation, QA Testing, Production Support:
- Provide tier-2 production support for the applyUC undergraduate admissions system.
- Develop automated test strategy and lead the automated test planning.
- Develop and maintain test automation suites to facilitate regression testing.
- Conduct test automation code reviews to ensure test automation best practices.
- Collaborate with development team on designing, developing, maintaining and execution of automated testing solutions with a focus on creating efficiency through technology and automation.
- Lead QA testing activities, prepare and maintain detailed test plans.
- Work closely with QA and client testers.
- Run and monitor batch processes and web services.
- Troubleshoot performance problems and implement bug fixes.
- Provide scheduled on-call and production support services. Conduct thorough problem analysis, document findings, develop resolution plan and implement the fix.
- May require production support is required outside of normal business hours.
20% Business Relationship Management:
- Consult with customers to understand functional business needs and expectations as they pertain to development activities.
- Work with customers and other team members to identify areas for improvement with the current application or system processes.
- Understand and communicate with business partners in business terms and use this understanding to assure the business partner’s understanding of work status, risks, issues and proposals.
15% Project Planning:
- Prepare and maintain detailed project plans: define milestones, tasks, resource requirements, and dependencies; track and report on task completion status.
- Assess risks and hazards to the success of the project and recommend appropriate mitigation measures.
- Assist in coordinating technical team activities and support tasks undertaken by infrastructure teams.
- Specify, develop and execute complex test plans that are reviewed by the technical lead for completeness.
- Develop conversion and system implementation plans.
- Perform highly complex data modeling, performance, and integration testing.
- Initiate, design, and communicate with senior-level personnel regarding data, reporting, and background material including approaches, trends, and sources.
- Negotiate project plans with stakeholders.
15% Collaboration and Communication:
- Understand and apply industry practices, community standards and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Collaborate with core team members, subject matter experts and business partners.
- Communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Proactively engage other ITS teams in cross-functional efforts.
- Resolve procedural and technical issues in the context of department policies and procedures.
- Provide production support services as required.
- Mentor team members who are less experienced.
- May serve as technical lead for a project of moderate scope.
- At least 5 years of applicable experience with complex IT projects.
- Demonstrated experience in application development life cycle with working knowledge of: web-based systems, XML/XSLT, Java/JSEE, and batch processing of data imports and exports.
- Experience writing use cases to illustrate functional requirements.
- Experience writing test cases, performing testing, and documenting the results.
- Demonstrated experience writing detailed systems documentation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms and translate complex business rules into technical designs.
- Interpersonal skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Ability to understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
- Ability to interface with management on a regular basis.
- At least 2 years of applicable experience in automation testing.
- Proven skills of translating Requirements Traceability Matrix into automation test suites.
- Hands on experience designing, building, and maintaining automated test codebase.
- Conversant with the major types of UML diagrams, Entity Relationship Diagrams, and other forms of system documentation.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent/related functions.
- Thorough knowledge of business and process analysis functions.
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Knowledge of undergraduate admissions policies and processes is a plus.
- Plans QA testing assignments and monitors performance according to priorities as demonstrated by regularly meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform competently under pressure and to handle interruptions and changes without losing productivity.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Code development experience and front-end development skills.
- Understanding of Agile/Scrum methodology and how QA functions within it.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary: $101,000 – $121,000 annually commensurate with skills/experience.
Benefits include 15 days/year of paid vacation, 12 sick days, 13 Observed Holidays and a generous retirement plan. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: Benefits of Belonging
ITS supports remote work. U.S. based applicants who wish to work remotely will be considered.
Position is not eligible for Visa or Green Card sponsorship.
HOW TO APPLY
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The first review date for this job is (11/7/22). The position will be open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. Background check process at UCOP
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. UC Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. EEO/AA Employer UC Nondiscrimination Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: Accessibility or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucop/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=19&JobOpeningId=44349&PostingSeq=1