TxDOT’s Paris District is looking for a Transportation Maintenance Crew Chief I to join our team at our Fannin County Maintenance office. We have a diverse workforce of over 12,000 employees statewide.
If you would make a good leader and enjoy working outdoors and would like to make the roadways safer for your family and friends then apply for this position. Come join our TxDOT family and build a career as big as TEXAS!
Work Location: 2405 N. Center (SH 78) Bonham, TX 75418
Shift: First Shift
Overnight Travel: <5%
Minimum Salary : 48,840.00 Maximum Salary : 58,399.00 Pay Basis : Yearly
Work Locations : Sherman/Grayson Co Ae/Maint 3904 US 75 SOUTH Sherman 75090-0517
Travel : Yes, 5 % of the Time
Shift : Day Job Shift Details : 40
Location Flexibility : Onsite
At TxDOT, we value employee work-life balance. In keeping with our commitment to this value, our employees benefit from a wide array of programs and activities that include:
- Low Turnover
- Retirement Pension
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Paid Leave/Holidays
- Health Premiums paid at 100% for full-time employees
- On the Job Training
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Comprehensive Wellness Program/Wellness Leave Incentives
- Career Development Programs/Opportunities for advancement
For a complete list of our total compensation package please visit our website at: Total Compensation Package
To view benefits available to all State of Texas employees visit: Benefits at a Glance (ERS.texas.gov)
Performs skilled transportation maintenance activities and leads a crew of Transportation Maintenance Technicians. Reports to a maintenance section supervisor or their assistant and assists in administration of the maintenance section. Work requires contact with private entities. Employees at this level perform work independently on assignments; however, all unusual issues are referred to the supervisor.
- Assists during accidents and emergency weather situations to sand bridges and roads and put up warning signs.
- Assists in administration of the maintenance section.
- Assists in overseeing the work of designated maintenance inspectors and sign technicians.
- Estimates and gathers materials and equipment necessary to complete assignments.
- Maintains records on materials and equipment used and employee time sheets.
- Drives a state vehicle and operates light and heavy equipment.
- Performs some maintenance and repair on equipment and trains crew members on the use of equipment.
- Serves as a lead worker.
- Troubleshoots problems.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
Education: High School Grad or Equivalent in general high school studies.
Experience: 5 years roadway maintenance related work. (Experience can be satisfied by fulltime or prorated parttime equivalent). Related college education or relevant technical training may be substituted for experience on a year per year basis. Substitutions for Minimum Qualifications
Licenses and Certifications:
- Safety Impact Certificate*
- Commercial Driver Certificate*
- Must have a Commercial Driver’s License Class A with a “N” endorsement (tank). This position requires driving a state vehicle.
- Safety Impact and Commercial Driver Certificates are not required at the time of application. The Safety Impact Certificate and Commercial Driver Certificate will be issued by TxDOT at the time of hire.
- Communicate effectively
- Methods, procedures, equipment and materials used in intermodal transportation engineering construction and maintenance work
- Materials used in highway/bridge construction and maintenance
- Incident management procedures
- Performing calculations to include material and labor estimates, expenses, technical survey data and engineering calculations
- Leading, assigning, reviewing, and monitoring the work of others
- Coordinating labor, materials, and equipment
- Preparing and maintaining confidential and sensitive records, files and reports
- Using of light and heavy highway equipment
- Maintaining a safe working relationship
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Subject to extreme cold and heat; below 32 and/or above 100 degrees for more than one hour
- Medium work: Lift up to 50 lbs at a time and frequently lift or carry objects up to 25 lbs
- Talking-expressing or exchanging ideas by spoken words
- Visual Acuity-operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment
- Visual Acuity-determine work quality/make general observations of facilities/structures
Conditions of Employment:
- Must attend work regularly and observe approved work hours.
- Safety Impact certifications are not required at the time of application. As required, the Safety Impact certification will be issued by TxDOT at the time of hire.
- Must pass a drug test prior to employment for commercial driver, safety impact and vessel crewmember positions. Commercial drivers, safety impact employees and vessel crewmembers will be subject to additional drug and alcohol testing during employment.
- Required to work weekends and holidays.
- Required to work hours other than 8 to 5.
- Required to work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
Please click this link to read the standard conditions of employment for all positions: Standard Conditions of Employment (TxDOT)
- This job has been identified as physically demanding and will require a pre-employment physical.
- Must pass a drug test prior to employment for safety impact positions. This is a Safety Impact position and will be subject to random drug testing.
- Please note that the Department of Transportation’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulation – 49 CFR Part 40, at 40.151(e) – does not authorize “medical marijuana” under a state law to be a valid medical explanation for a positive drug test result for an employee in this position.
- Must be able to report for duty within 45 minutes of notification on a 24-hour basis to respond to emergency situations.
TxDOT is committed to hiring veterans. To assist in determining whether your military experience may pertain to the minimum requirements for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces have been assigned to each state classification code/title where applicable. The MOS codes are grouped by occupational category.
To view the MOS codes please click on link below and click on the appropriate occupational category.
The Texas Department of Transportation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Action of 1990.
Please click this link to read the information for applicants: Additional Applicant Information