Rutgers University Correctional Health Care is seeking a Department Nurse Manager for the Northern State Prison, located in Newark, New Jersey. The Department Nurse Manager has supervisory responsibilities for nurses across shifts on an assigned unit(s) at a facility on a consistent basis.
- Collaborates with physicians, other health care personnel and interdepartmental personnel to ensure that the mission and objectives of the facility’s health program are realized.
- Maintains the standards of nursing practice/care and actualizes the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Nursing Service to staff, inmates and families.
- Implements and directs the nursing function within the context of each Unit.
- Assists the unit nurses in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating unit activities which contribute to the quality of care of adult (18 to 25 years) inmates in a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Participates and provides leadership in quality assurance and quality improvement activities and provides training to staff and correctional officers.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Associates of Science in Nursing (ASN).
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible nursing experience, one (1) year of which shall have been in a specialty area of services preferred
- Computer literate.
- CPR Certification
- License as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of New Jersey.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN).
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Ability to speak clearly is required and write proficiently is essential, extensive reading required, extended sitting is required, ability to move from unit to unit within correctional facilities. Frequently walks, bends, stretches, pushes and pulls, intermittent physical exertion when performing job activities. Manual dexterity and mobility for charting, lifting of up to 50 pounds, hearing and sight are essential, may be required to travel within the state, ability to implement Universal Precautions and Safety Precaution an on-call responsibilities.
- Must be approved by the Department of Corrections (DOC) and adhere to all DOC requirements